Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Can shift lever be bent (on pupose!)

Sort of related to another post: I'm 6'-4" tall and engaging 1st gear requires moving my leg/hip a bit. Can the shift stalk be bent up and to the right, like on a Mustang GT, etc.? I'll have no problem having enough arm reach to hit 4th.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My shifter was hitting by race seat going into first. I put it on an arbor press and it bent straight enough to clear with no problem.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
My Shifter sucked until I removed the Knob. Without the knob it is eazier to shift, I am look into bending the rod and adding a tube about 4 inches long that is bent at a 45 degree towards the front to give a better feel to the shifter throw. Steve
Old 10-23-2001, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Will, im 6' foot and when i sit inside my 914 my knees hit the steering wheel, i was wondering do you have a different steering wheel?
Old 10-23-2001, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, I'm 5'8" and I don't have any of these problems :P

Anyway, the shifter arm itself can be bent in any fashion you see fit. The trans doesn't depend on the location of the shifter knob for it's gear selection.

Steering wheel, hmm. You could amputate your legs to solve that problem. Hay we all must make sacrafices to drive our 914s. My sacrafice happens to be seat stuck a little too far back and not yet willing to fork over the cash to fix it.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

On the steering wheel issue....

I am 6'2" and can barely fit in that damn car with the stock wheel. GPR has good deals on Momos, I would recommend the 1 inch spacer at least. If you have a little more time than money you can take the stock hub off the stock wheel (involves drilling rivets) then drill that hub to fit the Grant 2" spacer. You can then run Grant wheels. They make some decent stuff for $59, should be available at your local autoparts store.

My car with a Grant 773 and the 2" spacer fits me perfect, wheel nice and close (and away from my legs).

By the way, technically if you lay your arm on top of your wheel the steering wheel should hit you right in the wrist. Thats correct spacing.

If you don't feel like doing any maching go with the Momo, it's a nicer wheel anyway!

Sean
Old 10-23-2001, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm 6'tall, all arms and legs and the stock wheel gets in my way too - awkward. The Smaller dia wheel makes a big difference.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The shift lever can be bent with a press, just do it slowly. A smaller diameter MOMO wheel will help, make sure to get a 914 adapter and that the horn works when done. Some of the steering wheels will be further back when you mount it so your knees will be behind the wheel. You can lower the seat two inches if you go with a solid non-adjustable mount for the seat but that requires removing the stock mounting tabs, hinges, etc. Most race or serious auto-x cars do this to get the drivers weight lower for a lower center of gravity. The aluminum seats lower you another 1/2 inch or so. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: