Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Eat-um-up Send a message via AIM to Eat-um-up
Post Think i broke a valve

I cant afford to get a new motor for this and im getting tired of pulling the setup for patchups every 2 months... I think i broke a valve on my 2.0 and i was wondering if there was a safe, and easy way to just pull the engine and not the tranny, just to save some work

------------------
Sweet Blue 72' 914
Check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/eat_um_up/914.html
Old 10-28-2001, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
More of a pain to pull only the motor. I've got it down to under an hour.....

BTW, I am selling a complete 74 914 with a great running 2.0 for $2,200.00.

It has some rust, but great interior and other goodies like a 914/6 combo gauge, center console with head temp, alt with #s, oil pressure etc....

You can buy this for the motor, part out the rest including your old motor, make your money back.

Located in Santa Barbara, can drive it to Bakersfield or you can borrow my trailer....

[This message has been edited by mikez (edited 10-28-2001).]
Old 10-28-2001, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Eat-um-up,

I agree with Mikez. If you've got FI, like me, it takes a little longer to get everything disconnected, but even with all that I know I can do it by myself in under two hours.

mikez,

Sorry to butt in here, but if Eat-um-up is not interested, I might be. That is if your offer is open to others.

My interest would depend on where the rust is. I'm looking for a straight body to replace all four corner panels with GT style, or the like, but want rust free rockers, etc.
I also have a 74 2.0L FI that I'd like to have a backup motor for maybe doing some racing. Carburated or FI, it wouldn't matter.

Anyway, let me know.

Regards,

------------------
Gerard
74-914 2.0L
3D914
rodrigos6@juno.com
Old 10-28-2001, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I would really love to take you up on the offer but i just havent got the the money to put much more than gas into my car for a while (got caned at work). ive gotta get rid of my jetta before i can aford to put any real money into my porsche again. btw if you know anyone whos looking for one, my jetta is a 2001 wolfsburg edition, loaded, only 7000 miles on it and im asking payoff 19,200.
Thanks
James

------------------
Sweet Blue 72' 914
Check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/eat_um_up/914.html

[This message has been edited by Eat-um-up (edited 10-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Eat-um-up (edited 10-28-2001).]
Old 10-28-2001, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you are wanting to patch it up again,
I have several piston/cylinder sets that are from used engines, in good shape. If a valve did break, you most likely wiped a piston, and maybe more.

I also have alot of heads that would be bolt ons if you want to do it quick
Old 10-28-2001, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The valve spring moves around, but is not broken and i cannot pull it out. so it may be possible that i just sucked the valve. the moter still starts up and does not make any noise other than the carb barrel for that cylender pumping gas up the thought. im gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best. thanks jake. ill keep you in mind
Old 10-28-2001, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I had to replace a head and a P&C pair once duue to a broken valve. I raised the back of the car, took off the head gear for that side, then put the jack under the engine, unbolted it and the tranny ,and lowered it. I could get enough clearence to pull the head without removing too much. I had to disconnect the gear shift rod and maybe loosen the clutch cable. Really not a bad job-did it in the dorm parking lot over a weekend.
Old 10-29-2001, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
In the dorm parking lot?? thats funny. did you get busted for working on your car in the lot??
Old 10-29-2001, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Nope, though I believe the cops cruised by twice, but only slowed to ask what I was doing. I was surprised-had the back end way up in the air off some jack stands, had the floor jack working the engine, was wearing my mechanic jumpsuit...
Old 10-30-2001, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

I can just imagine...

Cop: "What are you doin' under there?"
Ben: "Stealin' a bunch of broken parts off the motor, here! Oh, by the way--here's your sign!"

--DD (Yes, I do steal from professional comedians!)

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-30-2001, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: