Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Idle drop/surge

I have a 1.8 with FI, about a week ago my steady idle has started to surge between 900 and drow down to maybe 200 rpms. Seems like the fuel rate at idle cuts off or ?? Does anyone have any guess on what to start to look at. I just got this to pass smog about a month ago so I am pretty sure I do not have a vacuum leak.

------------------
Thanks,

Brian
'74 1.8L is alive!
Old 10-26-2001, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like it is "hunting" which can be a sign of a lean condition at idle. If you recently had a smog test, this may have been adjusted to pass. Try turning the idle mixture knob on the top of the ECU clockwise a few clicks. This will richen the mixture and may cure your problem.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I don't seem to have a knob on my ECU. I could richen the mixture by adjusting the Mass Airflow sensor a little. Mine is L-Jet, but what was interesting is that eveything waas just fine and all of a sudden here we are.

------------------
Thanks,

Brian
'74 1.8L is alive!
Old 10-26-2001, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

That sounds like a hose that popped off, or one that split, or some other vacuum leak that showed up fairly quickly.

But you always start off by checking the ignition system thoroughly...

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

[This message has been edited by Dave_Darling (edited 10-30-2001).]
Old 10-30-2001, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: