Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to kena
Question bent rims

Just bent one of my Mahle rims..ouch..can this be repaired? Looks like a few well placed hammer blows would take care of it.

Old 10-27-2001, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
I would recommend calling one of the wheel places, like Wheel Enhancement. They have a website, located in SO CAL.
Old 10-27-2001, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Unhappy

My car had aluminum wheels installed by the previous owner. And one wheel has a slight bend from butting heads with a curb it seems.

While having new tires installed I asked if they would straighten the rim. My answer was "No" ...the reason given was it might get straightened but most likely the aluminum could or would break, thus costing someone the price of a new wheel.

So I drive with the slight bend and regularly check the air in that one tire more than the other three.

Old 10-30-2001, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cast alloy + hammer + hard whack = broken rim.

Send it to a rim shop. I had a 1 1/2 inch bend straightened for $50. Worth the $$ IMHO.

mh
Old 10-30-2001, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kena
Thumbs up

I have since been told the same thing..keep hammers away from the rims. The cost I have been quoted without the shops seeing the rims ranged from 125/175. $50. sounds better to me. Was this awhile ago or should I do more shopping around.
BTW....rims with low profile tires + low air pressure don't mix well with curbs and such do they?
Old 10-30-2001, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

In the San Diego area there are a couple of places, one is/was Edco and they have straightened several of my racing wheels and it was $50 per wheel, including remounting the tire and balancing. It seems as though they have to heat the wheel to a temp where the alloy is workable and they use a roller to smooth out the dents and dings. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: