Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Talking What is my 914 Worth? About to sell

Well I am too old and achy to work on a 914 that really needs someone with at least 3 elbows in each arm and eyes located somewhere on each hand. I have reached the point that I would just rather autoX something that I don't have to repair frequently. So I am going to sell my '72 914-4 that is really more like a hopped-up 1974.

Here is what I have:

Modified 1972 914-4

• Less than 2,000 miles since engine rebuild (Hal’s Import Service in Chattanooga in 1986)
• 2+ liters 96mm with 2.0 crank
• 9:1 compression ration
• 2.0 heads
• SS valves
• Norris 254 cam
• Norris lifters
• Volvo injectors
• Lightened flywheel
• Pistons and rods balanced
• Fuel pump relocated to front
• Trans converted to side shifter
• Weltmeister adjustable front sway bar
• Rear sway bar
• 180# rear springs
• Recent fuel line replacement
• Dark green – Paint in fair condition
• Dent in top of right front fender (moving truck deck rail fell)
• No topside body rust -- Some under below the battery. Battery tray was replaced.
• Needs weather rubber – Not a rainy day car as is
• Steel wheels with A008’s
• Interior – Fair
• Very fast
• Handles very good
• Hard to drive in traffic due to cam/FI tuning. Would rather run under load with the throttle open at least 15% or rpm’s above 3200. – Could probably be improved by someone who knows what they are doing.

Any opinions as to what it is worth? I have someone that is interested. I bought the car for $3,500 and spent another $3,700 on the rebuild and modifications.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Smile

Aside from your description of the car, there would be a lot of cosmetic and other
parts and trim conditions that would have to
be known in order to price it. Except as you describe the car, let us say the car is otherwise in very good shape. I would say top end, $5K.
Phil
Old 11-01-2001, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
That cam is a Norris grind designed for the FI system. You have got something out of wack,It should run really good with that cam. Steve
Old 11-01-2001, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The value is whatever the buyer will pay.

So what does that mean? Since you have someone interested, its somewhat easier.

Does he want it for Autocross? If so, you have already set it up for that, spent a lot of money on things he can appreciate, and the cosmetics don't matter. So its a $5,000 car.

Does he want it for a street car? or maybe garage queen? Then a lot of your current mods are not that valuable to him, and the body, paint and interior will need repaired. So now, if its solid, its a $2500 car.

On the surface, it sounds like your ad should read...

"perfect autocross 914! All suspension mods and engine mods already done for you. Thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours have been spent making this the right set up for autocross, but now it needs the right driver!! Strap on your helmet, and stick a number on the door, and kiss the wife goodbye. You're goin' racin'! Only $5800 puts you on the track!"

Never leave money on the table.
As if you couldn't tell by now, I work in marketing.

------------------
Randy Foulds
Salinas, CA
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/rfoulds
Old 11-02-2001, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Cool

Rfoulds,

Don't know your vocation, but you should be in marketing.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2001, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Red face

Then I read the last line of your post. That will teach me.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
twenty years in marketing. I work in TV, we do the on-air promos for NBC.

Like, "tonight on ER... a powerful new episode you must see to believe... and just when you thought you knew who to trust, tonight's ending will shock you. Don't miss a powerful new ER, tonight on NBC."

Next week, same thing.

------------------
Randy Foulds
Salinas, CA
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/rfoulds
Old 11-02-2001, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: