Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post AutoX Tire Pressure??

I am going to autoX my 914-4 this weekend. It has a strong modified engine, front and rear sways, and old but good tread A008's that are 195/60-15.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2001, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Well Scott, so much of that decision depends on track conditions, sway bar set-ups, spring balance and your own driving style. That said, my car seems to prefer about 3-4 pounds less pressure in the fronts. With street tires I've been running 34# in the rears and 31# up front. But then again, based on my results, maybe I should re-think that!

Tire pressure is the one suspension tuning trick that you can fiddle with every lap if you want to. Raise your front pressure to create more 'push' or understeer, lower it to lessen it. Good luck!

------------------
Herb
'72 1.7 Tangerine 'Teen
'74 2.0 Red Rustmobile
Old 11-02-2001, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Talking

Thanks, that gives me a good starting point.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I had the same tires until a few months ago (finally wore out). For autox I used to basically just run my street pressures, or a few psi more. My car is very balanced and likes around 32psi rear, 30 front or thereabouts -- COLD.

You probably won't get them hot enough to worry about this at a traditional autox (vs. a true track event), but if your HOT temps go much above 40psi you'll feel like you're ice skating. Bleed them back down a bit if you get way up there.

On the other hand, if you can't get enough heat into them, you may want to play with bumping the pressure a little higher so that the sidewalls don't roll over and flex as much.

It's really a tuning thing, as Herb mentioned. Play around with the pressures if you want, feel for the changes in handling, and watch your lap times!

Have fun,

------------------
Chris C.
73 914 2.0
70 911E Targa
campbell.chris@gte.net
Old 11-02-2001, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: