Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post 901 Transmission with a 2.7RS

I recently read this on a web page and was wondering a few things 1. how to change gear ratios??in a 901(please reas passage because I have no idea what they are talking about!!) 2. how do I install these oil cooling jets for the transmission?? 3. Do I need to do these cooling modifications for a 901 with a 2.7RS approx. 240hp?? 4. what do you think about changing these ratios, becasue it is said in this article that changing the gearing is like adding 50hp to a 911 with either a 901 or 915??

914/6 Notes

The unusual case of the 914/6 requires a few comments. Since the transmission in these cars resides behind the engine, they operate a great deal hotter than in a 911. Regardless whether you use a 901 or a 915 gearbox in these cars, you should install a pump and cooler to maintain transmission life with engines 2.7 litres or larger. For racing applications, we like to install a pressurized lubrication system in the 914/6 for maximum component life. The clutch also runs hotter in this configuration so don’t neglect this part as well. It doesn’t hurt to add some ventilation to the bellhousing under racing conditions.

Thanks For Advice,
Ron
Old 11-01-2001, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Answers: 1-change the individual gears for which gear you want to move. The change depends on what type of racing you want to do, auto-x or time trials 1st through 4th are all lowered and put close together, road racing on big tracks such as Willow Springs, move 2nd to 4th closer together, etc. 2-machine work is required on the case to install the pump pickup and outlets. 3-try it without the cooling and read the temps at the tranny after racing, 4-yes they are as my race 914 goes pretty well with a short geared transmission. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

John,

How would I go about changing the individual gears?? You suggest changing 1-4 gears of the stock 901, what should I change them too? and where can I get the new ones?? How much would I bee looking at?? Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, I am eagerly tring to learn as much as possible!!
Old 11-01-2001, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Screw the trans....what about the motor? If you are running less than 300 hp, the trans can take care of itself....keep the engine cool first. The trans on a stock 901, even with an LSD is realtively cheap. There are LOT of spare parts out there.

Just my $.02....
Old 11-01-2001, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've never worked on the trans in my 914s and I have Black Forest in San Diego do them as they have an excellent transmission man. Good luck. As Mike said with an engine like that you need to keep it cool and worry about that before the tranny, unless you already have a big oil cooler, etc. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hello

1.) Just open the case remove the shafts and swap the gears.

Problem is that on most 901 the first gear ratio is fixed.

2.) Working and use good parts

3.) I would recomend the cooling for hot driving. There is no thump over but at 160 HP the trany gets to hot on track or full load highwayblasts. This will shorten the lifetime and the hoter the shorter the lifetime generally.
240 HP from a 2,7 will break the 901 trany within several hard runs. Doesn´t matter how good colled.
Upgrades with 906 shaft and other reinforcments will maybe handle the 250 HP.

4.) Gear ratios are changed to usage depending on what you want to do and what engine is in the car ( curb wight and tire diameter goes in as well )

5.) The clutchtype handling 250 HP with a 911 trany will give you a good left foot workout and needs a very sensetive foot too.

Grüsse
Old 11-02-2001, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

3). Adding oil cooling is a good thing, however, depends on the usage. If you are going to use it for 20 min or less DE sessions, it may be ok as is.

4). I think they are refering to the 7:31 and the 8:31 ring and pinnion difference btwn the 901 gear box and the 915 gear box.

I am able to run fine with a 3.2 and a 901 stock gear box. Now tomorrow it might go boom, but for now, I am smiling
Old 11-02-2001, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A local guy wins with a well prepped 3.2litre six and 901 (914) trans. The only mod he made to the trans was a rebuild and the addition of the billet aftermarket intermediate plate. He's run that powertrain for years, though he is apparently smooth and easy on the equipment.
Old 11-03-2001, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: