Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question New/Rebuilt MPS for 1974 2.0L

Just tested my Manifold Pressure Sensor as part of my troubleshooting sequence, and it will not hold a vacuum. Used a Mighty-Vac, pumped the vacuum to 20 in, and within 2 minutes it fell to below 15 in. I double checked that my Mighty-Vac isn't bad, and it's fine.

PP show the MPS as NLA (alphabet soup). In searching elsewhere on the internet, I have found a rebuilt unit at Automotion for $236.95 and another rebuilt at AA for $275. From my review of old postings, it sounds like new units have disappeared.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Howard
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

Last list price on these that I knew of was about $1500 for NOS ones. I know that's what many of us paid for our cars but that's where they've gone these days now that they are rare.

I don't know who is doing Automotion's rebuilding, but maybe someone who does will chime in. I would try contacting Brad Mayeur at 914Limited since he's in IL. Also try Otto's since they also specialize in a lot of 914 stuff and I know they rebuild other stuff like MAF's and CD boxes.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard H View Post
Just tested my Manifold Pressure Sensor as part of my troubleshooting sequence, and it will not hold a vacuum. Used a Mighty-Vac, pumped the vacuum to 20 in, and within 2 minutes it fell to below 15 in.
That doesn't sound so bad to me. Brad Anders' webpage says it shouldn't fall below 5" in 1 minute, and after 2 minutes you're still close to 15". My MPS performs worse than yours and my car runs fine.

Very occasionally, NOS MPS's come up on ebay. I found one new and still sealed in the box a couple of years ago for $350. I'm saving it for a rainy day.
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 10-11-2008, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I agree--they can be OK but slowly leak.

AFAIK, Brett Instruments is the only place that rebuilds them, and they use a different material for the diaphragms than the original parts.

High Performance House in Redwood City CA has about six of anything you can think of for 914s, so I would bet he has MPSes that test good as well. I don't know if he tests them, though.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Lightbulb Duh.... I blew it.

Rrrockhound -- You're right. I misread Paul Anders article, so I was expecting to see less than a 5" drop in 5 minutes. My MPS passes the 1 minute vacuum leak test.

Sometime today, I'll check the coil resistances that Anders describes.

If they check out OK, is there a "down and dirty" way to check to operation of the MPS with the engine running (versus finding a Wavetek inductance tester)?

Thanks again,
Howard
Old 10-12-2008, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

rebuilt MPS sensor

Bought a rebuilt MPS sensor from Auto Atlanta for $275(I think) for my '74 914 a few months ago.

good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: