Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post custom steel falres > how do to?

I know, i know, i shouldnt cut corner on this one, but i need a winter project and:
> i dont trust fiberglass flares (do i have a set though)
> not ready to invest 1200US$ (2000CAN$) on my car at the moment
> i am hard headed...

so, if anyone has knowledge in meatl-shaping, id like your advice. Remember i have a set of fiberglass flares to mold/use as a reference.

Thanks to all.
Old 11-05-2001, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cool

Hi Sabin:

The following link is a picture of JP Stein's
car. He used a hammer and dolly to change the shape of his fenders. All done by hand.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/ultimate/Forum2/HTML/003474.html

------------------
  • Joe A.
  • 84 911 Targa
  • 75 914/6 3.0
Old 11-05-2001, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
The fiberglas flares will need to be perminately fixed to something so they will retain a consistant shape during the templet phase. Buy an English wheel, a shot bag, some shaping hammers, and the metel crafters book by Ron Fornier (sp?) and go for it.

good luck
Old 11-05-2001, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As you can see from the pics that Joe posted,
I only went far enough to get 225 X 50 X 15 Kumhos (7 inch wheels)under there.

The esthetics of the flare shape leave something to be desired......but I got tired !!

Another method is to use a jack (or Portapower) to push the whole fender out (using a suitable buck on the inside of the fender). I have a pic some where......

Ah, yes.....John Blonks 914 from the Seattle area.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sabin:

there was a thread a few months back about using 911SC rear (steel) flares and adapting them to the 914. They are cheaper and more readily available than 914 flares, and fitting them will be less work than building from scratch. They look good too if you don't mind not cloning the factory GT.
FWIW, the glass flares on mine seem plenty strong, and a local guy has raced his glass flared 914 for years - not a crack.
Dave
Old 11-06-2001, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This doesn't apply to Sabin, who lives in the Great White North, but to us Mericans that might want to go play with the SCCA......

Changing the shape of the wheel opening (when viewed from the side) is Verboten.....well not really, it just bumps you into a Modified class. Not a good spot for ANY 914. There be purpose built race cars there. Near as I can tell, this is true in Solo II and circuit racing.

JPIII
Old 11-06-2001, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey, check out the Arena Red V-8 conversion at http://home3.inet.tele.dk/box164/html/fischer_part_2.html

They have some real good pics of how they did a custom flare job on this very sharp (personal opinion)914.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: