Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Eduardo Castrejón Elbjorn
Question 911 Complete front suspension for 914, which one ?

I want to make soon this upgrade, buy I want to know what model (year) is the best.
1989 Turbo ?

------------------
1972 914 v6
1974 914 2180cc 916 Look
1984 944 Auto
550 spyder (replica)
My Page
Old 11-07-2001, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would go with an 911/sc or 911/Carrera
from 78 - 89.... If you want you can just swap out the complete strut assembely without
changing the lower A-Arms or Steering rack.

------------------
  • Joe A.
  • 84 911 Targa
  • 75 914/6 3.0
Old 11-07-2001, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

69-88 is good. Even the early brakes ("M" calipers) will be quite good enough for almost any 914. M calipers are steel and have a 3" spacing between the caliper mounting bolts.

The "S" calipers became available at some point in there, and they are supposed to be better. They are aluminum, and have a 3.5" spacing between the mounting bolts.

In 78-80, the "A" calipers became available. These were larger than the S calipers, were made of steel, and also used the 3.5" bolt spacing. In 84, the Carrera used the same brakes but with a slightly thicker rotor (and therefore thinner pad).

The A-caliper brakes, in either SC or Carrera incarnation, should be more than enough for any 914 that is actually street-driven.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-07-2001, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Eduardo, I would go with Jabb and DD's recommendations except I would also change out the 914 cross member. If you want to upgrade the torsion bars, you can find good used big bars for 911s cheap, 914 big bars will have to be new and are very expensive.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks for your answers, very useful info.

What about turbo´s suspension ?
I read that in 78 the turbo have 917,935 brakes, those are the A ?
I know that a lot of 914´s users change to turbo tie rods, then if I can find an 89 turbo suspension, this is a good option ?
Old 11-07-2001, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

The "A" brakes were originally used on soem species of Alfa Romeo, actually. The 917/935 brakes are total overkill for any 914 that will be driven on the street.

I'm not sure if the Turbo parts will fit easily--you may run into fitment problems with wheels, hubs, etc.

The turbo tie-rod ends are supposed to be an improvement. Aa friend who installed them on his 911SC as a replacement for some badly worn tie-rod ends said they made a world of difference. He then put a set on his girlfriend's 911SC which had nearly-new stock tie rod ends. He said there was practically no difference at all.

So go ahead and get them if the rod ends are worn, otherwise don't bother.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-07-2001, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

IMHO go SC or later and not bother with the M calipers, though Dave's probably right that they are still plenty of brake.
I'm not sure if I interpret Philinjax's post correctly, but you needn't change x-members to use 911 torsion bars, just the control arms. I agree with the point about torsion bar availability. Later 911 suspensions (after '84 IIRC - could be wrong) had the lighter alloy x-member and slightly revised steering geometry.
Regardless which you choose, you will have to make some mods to retain your stock swaybar if you change more than just the strut/hub/rotor/caliper assy.

Old 11-07-2001, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Question

I want to buy a complete 911 suspension (brakes,bars,etc).
I saw at dcauto that have the 75-86 in 550 usd, is a good option ?
Where I can buy the complete set of bushings,etc. ?
Or what I need to convert this used suspension to optimal conditions ?

[This message has been edited by Eduardo Castrejón Elbjorn (edited 11-07-2001).]
Old 11-07-2001, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: