Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post 914 Wiring Diagram

Car is a 74 914 1.8. Some wires pulled out of the "dual relay" (at the battery tray area). Have Haynes wiring diagram which is basically "Greek" to me. How do you relate wiring diagram to the vehicle?? Where is dual relay shown? Am I missing something here?? Is there a site where I can get "educated" on this?
Old 11-08-2001, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

You have come to the right place. Look at the home page of this site and see 914 elc diagrams. these are in color which so far has matched my car exactly.
Old 11-08-2001, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Search this site for electrical diagrams, etc. I had many questions at first and they were answered on this site.

ShawnO
Old 11-08-2001, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks to both of you!!!
Old 11-08-2001, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Is it 3 white wires? If so, they may not be pulled out of the relay. They may be the famous "Altitude Compensator" wires that go to nothing.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There are two wires...one is a wire off a wire (2 connectors) and is red (from + side of battery cable). The other looks like a brown wire.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Them non-white wires are not from the FI harness... The FI harness only has white wires. I have the wiring diagrams for the 1.8L wiring harnesses if you have a specific question.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

This link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_74_AFC-B.jpg is for this image:

The "dual relay" is the big mess of stuff in the dotted box near the middle-right of the image. Brown is always ground, unless someone has messed with the wiring. The ground wire shown in white in the diagram may actually be brown.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

[This message has been edited by Dave_Darling (edited 11-08-2001).]
Old 11-08-2001, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The double relay is located on the battery tray support below the battery. The factory original one is a silver metal can. The later VW replacement relays are made from black plastic.

It has two connections to it, one that is part of the EFI wiring harness, and one that is part of the engine wiring harness. The engine harness on a 1.8 is unique to the L-Jet injection. It has a plug that comes from the engine harness that connects to the double relay, and a heavy red wire that connects to the positive battery post. If you have an original relay, and have to replace it with the VW one, then you will have to trim down the plastic on the outside of the relay plugs to get them to fit. The wiring connections are identical.

The way the circuit works is when the key is on, half of the relay is energized. This supplies power to the EFI computer. When the engine is cranking, or when the air flow meter is opened,the other half of the relay supplies power to the fuel pump. On the relay board end of the engine wiring harness there is an additional wire with a spade connector hanging loose. This hooks to the 4 pin connector on the relay board that the d-jet FI harness hooked to. It is used to energize the fuel pump.

The things to look out for on an L-jet system are:

1. Check to see if the rubber tube between the air flow meter and the throttle body is hooked up correctly and that there are no cracks.

2. Check to see that there is a white wire from the EFI harness connected to the negative side of the coil.

3. Check to see if the fuel pump runs when you manually open the air flow meter flap.

4. Check the fuel pressure. 28psi at idle and 32 with the vacuum line disconnected.

If you have any other questions, just e-mail me.

clayp@microsoft.com or clayjr@perrinefamily.org

Clay Perrine

74 1.8L Signal Orange "Frody" ("My Wife's Daily Driver")

73 2.4L MFI Six "Igor" (In The body shop)

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move all your 914 parts"
Old 11-09-2001, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: