Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Cats on my car....

I knew when I bought my 914 that cats loved to make the back window home but I now am finding scratches on the rear deck lid. I have a car cover but they I'd have to cover this car 100% of the time to stop this. What do all of you do to stop this?

David
Old 11-03-2001, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Talking

Mousetraps?

NPR's "Calling All Pets" suggests placing mousetraps on kitchen counters & other places where you don't want cats. They don't dig the surprise, the noise, the violent snap, etc. Generally a cat will only have to experience this once or twice to keep them away. It might work for you if you're dealing w/a small, limited number of cats. I'd guess you are.

You might want to put something over your deck lid (like a piece of tarp) if you try this. Otherwise they might scratch the finish again during a hasty departure.

Good luck!

Mark

------------------
1971 1.7l 914
Old 11-03-2001, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
SLIGHTLY LESS VIOLENT is to stretch seran wrap on the suface. It clings to their paws and they don't like that. Same thing goes, once or twice and they learn.

Also cats hate moth balls, or you can buy cat and dog repelent to use in gardens at most hardware/garden stores.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the help JP. Saran wrap sounds like a good start. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Mark!
I will try this after the saran wrap. I have found the cats on my car cover more than once ...and I just happen to have a couple of traps...
I think if one cat gets the idea maybe the rest will follow? ;>

David

Quote:
Originally posted by green71:
Mousetraps?

NPR's "Calling All Pets" suggests placing mousetraps on kitchen counters & other places where you don't want cats. They don't dig the surprise, the noise, the violent snap, etc. Generally a cat will only have to experience this once or twice to keep them away. It might work for you if you're dealing w/a small, limited number of cats. I'd guess you are.

You might want to put something over your deck lid (like a piece of tarp) if you try this. Otherwise they might scratch the finish again during a hasty departure.

Good luck!

Mark

Old 11-04-2001, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pepper...Just watch them sit down or lick their paws. Nothing else like a burning sensation.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Open the decklid, let them nest in the cooling fan, fire it up.
I know someone this happened to, nasty noises and clean up!
Steve
Old 11-05-2001, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Oops . . . forgot a critical point: if you try mousetraps, set the cocked traps UPSIDE DOWN on the car. That way they'll snap when disturbed, but they won't crunch toes.

If this fails, wolf urine is a sure-fire bet . . .

------------------
1971 1.7l 914
Old 11-05-2001, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

How do you get the wolf to pee in a cup?

ShawnO
1975 914 2.0l running - well, sort of.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hint with the moustrap trick.

If you attach a large flat piece of plastic or cardboard to the trap it will do a couple things:

1) Make much more noise and motion increasing the scare factor

2) If attached well, the plastic or cardboard will create enough resistance that the lever slows down a bit, this decreases the chance of crunched toes.

But beware, some cats like the mousetraps. I have one who just thinks that setting off the mousetraps is the coolest thing in the world.

[This message has been edited by braxtona (edited 11-06-2001).]
Old 11-06-2001, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Talking

ShawnO,

I'd been considering submitting a technical article on this anyway, so here's the short course:

1. Sit down with the wolf and drink a half-case of beer between the two of you.
2. Post an "Out of Order" sign on the men's room door (assuming it's a male wolf; otherwise, use the ladies' room door).
3. Keep a cup handy. The rest should take care of itself.

------------------
1971 1.7l 914
Old 11-06-2001, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wink

Ok, Ok! I'll put the trap out tonight. Now the wolf pee maybe a bit tough. Any substitutes?
Old 11-07-2001, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by 914am:
Pepper...Just watch them sit down or lick their paws. Nothing else like a burning sensation.
Hmmmmm... what do I do? My cat eats buffalo wings with abandon. Guess, I'll try the mousetrap trick.

Old 11-08-2001, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
OK, how about masking tape--sticky side up? Cats really hate to have anything stuck to their paws. This convinced my mom's cats to stay off the countertops.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-08-2001, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Red face

VW@micron.net said: ...let them nest in the cooling fan, fire it up...
NPC, don't know if it's really true, but a guy I used to work with said his neighbor had a skunk crawl up onto his engine to keep warm one winter night. When he tried to go to work in the morning it went through the fan and.....
Urban legend?
Harvey
Old 11-08-2001, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: