Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil change and weight?

Hi everyone,

Just got the car, time for new oil.

What weight oil and brand would you use for a 914 that has been bored out to a 2.5L stroker?

I live in Orange County, so the climate is good year round. Weekend driving, some freeway, gonna be some A/X.

It is on a 1.8L block, so I am also assuming it uses a stock size oil filter for a 1974. Will a Mobil One filter be ok for it...or is there a MUCH better recommendation. Do you hand tighten or torque the oil filter?

Lastly, it also has a PowerTech front External oil cooler with ducting. I've never had a separate oil cooler on a car before. Do I need to do anything special with this while changing the oil? How much additional oil should it take due to the oil cooler? How much qts total do you think I will need?

Thanks

Jay
Old 11-01-2008, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think M1 20/50 still has a decent amount of ZDDP in it. You may want to double-check that, though.

20/50 is generally the weight of choice, though there are those who prefer other weights. In part, the internal engine clearances will determine what oil weight you want.

Some with external oil coolers just change what's in the sump, and realize that they're leaving a couple of old quarts in the system to mix with the new oil. Some make sure to get out the oil in the cooler and lines as well when they change their oil.

The amount of oil in your lines and cooler depends on the size and length of the lines, and the size of the cooler. You pretty much have to figure out how much there is for yourself...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
And can you or should you drain the oil cooler.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Swepco 306 15W40 or Brad Penn 20W50 oil are good. Both have the correct amount ZDDP for Type 4 and aircooled Porsche 6 engines.

DO NOT use a SM grade oil in a Type 4 engine!
Search for "Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils" thread on the 911 BBS page.

There is a oil filter thread around here somewhere, where someone bought and cut apart several new oil filters to study design and construction quality.

Purolator filters are good.
Mobile 1 filters are good.
1979 911SC 3.0L-CIS

Last edited by morgan_harwell; 11-06-2008 at 05:36 AM..
Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
http://www.scpraceparts.com/circle_track_racing_parts/penn-grade-1-racing-oil-20w50-partial-synthetic-1-quart-bottle.html

here ya go. pretty much the cheapest I have found it.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: