Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tie rod ends

I have no experience in changing tie rod ends and I know I don't want to tackle the whole change over to turbo tie rods so how difficult is it to just change the tie rod ends. Any tips and instruction would be appreciated. The ones on my 914 now have cracked rubber boots so I know they are shot. Thanks

Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJ View Post
I have no experience in changing tie rod ends and I know I don't want to tackle the whole change over to turbo tie rods so how difficult is it to just change the tie rod ends. Any tips and instruction would be appreciated. The ones on my 914 now have cracked rubber boots so I know they are shot. Thanks
You should assume the existing ones are rusted in place. So the plan off attack should be get some GOOD penetrating fluid like Kroil, PB Blaster etc. and start spraying the nut on the tie rod. I would do this over several days to give yourself a fighting chance. Having heat ( torch ) as backup is a good idea. Once you get the nut to loosen you will have to seperate the tie rod end from the strut arm. This can be done with a pickle fork or a BFH ( big f___in hammer ). After that the rest is fairly straight forward. Not sure why you wouldn't want to upgrade to turbo tie rod ends? I did it on mine and it was a piece of cake. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I would just purchase a set of turbo tie rods. You'll get both sides and they are much more responsive. The only tool you need is a small gear puller available at your FLAPS. Do the change and get it aligned.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Should he also change the balljoints while he is at it? How does one know if a balljoint is worn? Thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter carroll View Post
Should he also change the balljoints while he is at it? How does one know if a balljoint is worn? Thanks
Lift one wheel at a time and lock the steering wheel. Grab wheel at top and bottom and try to shake. Good ball joints mean you won't feel any play. Bad joints will feel like they're a little loose.

If you have trouble telling if there's looseness, have someone else shake the wheel while holding the ball joint/A-arm and feel for looseness.

Same for tie-rod ends except grab wheel on each side and shake back and forth with steering wheel locked. If the steering wheel is allowed to move, it will change the feel. This test also tests the steering rack so if some looseness is felt, you must make sure its not steering rack play versus bad tie rod ends.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: