Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Loose rear window

My rear window has come loose and appears to have fallen down about 1/2 inch. What is the proper route into this window for a remove and reseal?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Remove the roll bar padding and the back pad. The upper part of the padding can be a pain; the screw heads can be hard to find in their recesses and the little screws in the latch area are just plain hard to find at all!

Clean out the old goop, and clean up the channel. Get rid of any rust you find. Clean the window thoroughly, and set it out in the sun to warm up a bit--or in front of a heater if it is cold where you are. The butyl tape comes in a roll (or a tube, but I prefer the roll) and you push it into the channel where the old goop resided. Then push the window into place against the goop.

Note that there are two small rubber spacers at the lower edge of the window; make sure those are in place before you start.

Anyway, I used some rolled-up towels to hold the window against the tape overnight. I also warmed up the edges of the window that sat against the tape with a hair dryer.

No problems so far, and that was about eight years ago...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dave! I am sure glad I can get it from inside the car as the body kit covered that area on the out side. I need to remove the seats and clean up the area under and behind them ans POR it anyway. Good day to ya.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: