Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hard to get into 1st

Hello fellow 914 nuts,

When my 1975 914 gets fully warmed up- after an extended drive, it can be a real bear to get it to go into first (while at a stop). Usually I try to select another gear, then come back to 1st, but even the other gears are hard to get into. Sometimes I think it went in then I let out the clutch and it grinds like #@*&.
I really need to fix this before I grind it up any more.

Is this common, or happen to anyone else?

I rebuilt the transmission not long ago (new 1st gear synchro and dogteeth) and Swepco gear oil.

Thanks
Rob
Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Assuming you have a properly adjusted clutch I would look at the shift console and it's relation to the shift rods inside the transaxle.

While you are in there take a look at the dog teeth and 1st gear slider. further into it is the wear on the inner diameter of the synchro ring and outer wear of the brake band. (only one for 1st gear).
Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like the clutch cable needs tightened. I had trouble just before my clutch cable broke. Would be hard to get gears and had to put the clutch peddle all the way in. Adjust the clutch and the same thing in a week or so. Then snap!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice.
I plan to get under the car this weekend.
The cable was new a few hundred miles ago, so maybe it stretched a bit-wearing in.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You should have 10mm freeplay at the pedal. Use your hand and pull the pedal back and then push it in just until you can feel the cable tighten.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: