Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Knock, Knock

Says my rear suspension.

I hear this when I'm turning right but not left. Sends a chill down my back to hear it.

Looked under the 914 and didn't see anything obvious. Grabbed the axle shafts and both are able to slide in/out about an inch.

Could this my problem?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Speedemon,

Just want to say that its not just you or your car.

I have started driving mine around again recently and sure enough, it makes a heavy thump or knock only when turning right.

Cant wait to see what it is.

Anyone know what it is?

Curt
Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
On a 911, the suspects would be broken rear sway bar mount, worn constant velocity joint, and then worn/loose wheel bearing.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My initial thought (and still is) was the CV Joints.

Do your axles slide around like mine?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

knock

It is your cv joints, we see it all the time.

Check out the Porsche Owners Club Track event Videos
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok, there's the answer from someone in the biz. Thanks Otto.

If its the CV joints causing the thump, does that then mean the CV joints are bad?

Curt
Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thank You Mr. Otto, your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

cv's

They should be taken apart and inspected for wear marks/cracks. Nobody ever repacks these when servicing the rest of the car. We do. There is a CV joint grease that should be used. It is less expensive to buy the complete axle assembly than the individual pieces.

Check out the Porsche Owners Club Track event Videos
Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hmm,

I think it's time to find a new mechanic.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I am not sure about Speedemon's problem but Curt914, mine was doing a single thump or knock every time I made a hard right turn which turned out to be a busted trailing arm bushing. If that's the case with yours, you better get to it quickly. I replaced mine with the aftermarket bushings, which I lubed with a special grease I got from Otto. 3+ years and 40k miles later, still no binding or squealing.

Good luck

PS, no need to burn the old bushings out like some people suggest. I used a hydraulic press and they popped right out.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

i had a 71 years ago the did that very thing and it ended up being the sway bar mount was loose, there was no obviouse sighns of it being loose until i put a wrench on it and tightened it up soon as i did that problem solved ,good luck
Old 03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: