Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Recovering dismantler

Garage
Question Weber 40 IDF rebuild advice needed

I'm rebuilding the 40IDF's on my car, the redline rebuild kit main gasket is a lot different to the ones i removed - which look like someone hacked them to fit. Question is - in the attached picture - the old one is on top, and the new on the bottom - the new one can only be installed if the float and its pivot pin are removed, then the gasket installed, then the float put back on - so i set up the float height to the 10mm clearance without the float, and the correct drop height - installed the gasket and reassembled - is this correct? Have not got around to starting it yet as my fuel pressure regulator is leaking and i'm waiting for new one to arrive - without it and 6psi the the carbs flood fast :-)

Appreciate any advice -
TIA

Land Rover Discovery, Winnebago Brave + Jeep Wrangler, Proline 21WA boat.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

HI

I hope I understand your question correctly. I've been doing a lot of work on my IDF40's lately.
I can tell you that the gasket on top in your picture is exactly what mine look like.

I can't see how the one at the bottom of your picture could possibly work.
I does not accommodate the float assembly of the IDF carb.

They must have sent you the wrong gasket kit. Its vertainly not for a Weber IDF (40).

Good luck.

Curt
Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Recovering dismantler

Garage
Curt, you understood the question 100% - the bottom one does work if you assemble it to the top before you put the float on - and the float in the fully up position does not interfere with it at all - readline says it is the correct part and does not have an alternative gasket- their set does come with four gaskets for one carb - not sure why - and none of them matches the top one in the picture. I have it installed now, and will test as soon as my pressure regulator arrives. I've bought the rebuild kit from a couple of sources and thet are all the same - i have the older roller accelerator pump version - original Bologna made, but i do not recall any difference in the top end gasket on the newer carbs either.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It sounds like you have the same carbs I just helped rebuild with a buddy of mine. They are IDF 40's type 13/15 for Fiat 124 Sport Coupes. When we got these they already came with 2 rebuild kits, but not from Redline. They were the correct kits, but, I don't remember the brand. They also had 3 gaskets, but the only difference between them was the size of the throats but they did have that cut-out like your original gasket.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just allow for the thickness of the gasket when setting the high and low adjustments; these seem to be the ones that have been around for a few years now.

Weber's are are very touchy to fuel pressure over 4 psi and will easily over power the needle valve.

'68 912 Coupe
'82 SC sunroof
Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Just an FYI, Redline = Weber, they are the same company now. Looks like they might be doing what Porsche has been doing for years - trying to use a superseded gasket in for multiple old applications. I'll have to investigate - there may be some modifications needed to the gasket in order to easily time the floats.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Recovering dismantler

Garage
Wayne, I have written up the instructions for using the newer gasket - i'll email to you in a few minutes.
Neil
Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: