Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rear wheel clearance problem

I put 195 60 15s on the EMPI wheels on back end of my 73 914/4.
On the drivers side all is well. Passenger side the clearance is about 1/4" between the fender and the tire.
I heard that there is some adjustment that I can do on that side. What adjusts? I couldn't tell.
??
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check out the thread "new rims". An answer to your problem may be there.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not uncommon. Are your fender lips rolled flush? are we talking rubbing on the outside of the wheel or the inside along the inner fender? Nothing some heat and a bat cant due to getcha a litte more room. Post a picture!
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I was working on the exhaust system, had the rear jacked under the motor. When I set it down the clearance on that one tire was pretty normal. Next morning I came down and it was back to almost rubbing the fender.
I guess its the shock on the rear either leaking or needing adjustment? Here is a shot. How to tell if which it needs and how do you adjust?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
PMB Performance

Garage
The shock bolt looks loose. That's probably not your main issue but you should fix that. Your cv's can compensate alowing that control arm to flex. Also check all of your suspension points to make sure they're tight. Based upon what I'm seeing there I would suspect other areas. Check the 22mm's on the rear suspension shaft. Check the 17mm's on the front consoule.

After you jacked it the shock was extended and then settled back in. Start looking for new shocks BTW... not because of that (they all do that), because those are KYB's

If you are coming too close on the outer fender side (not the inner) then grab a pair of heavy gloves and a tape measure and simply pull that side out a bit. This happens quite often with these cars. While we were restoring my 914-6 we found the rear fenders were almost an inch off from one another.

Use a tape measure to see where you're at and give them a tug.
www.pmbperformance.com
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. What puzzled me is the other side clearance is fine; as you said yours were off too. I will check the spots you mentioned.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Guess I need a bigger wrench!I wasn't able to move the shock bolt at all.
How do you adjust the rear shock? Do you have to get to the top to turn it?
Watching the car settle after being lifted it sems that is the issue there, everything else other than that shock bolt seems tight.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

shock bolt

I just went and measured the distance from the swing arm to the outer end of my rear shock bolt and it was 2 1/4". It is a shouldered bolt and only goes into the arm until the shoulder makes contact and then the nut holds it there. If yours also measures 2 1/4" then the bottom end of your after market shock is a lot smaller than a stock one.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If that is correct, any word on how to adjust this shock, or would that make a difference? Now that it has sat for two days the tire is on the fender. when I first dropped it off the jack there was good clearance.
Or should I just replace the shocks?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
PMB Performance

Garage
The best way to adjust KYB's is to insert them in the "Round File Cabinet" in your garage.

They are non-adjustable. Save up for some Koni's or Bilsteins with adjustable spring perches. I believe the Koni's would have 3 spring perch settings and the Bilsteins can be purchased with an optional threaded collar for infinate adjustability. The Koni's are also internally adjustable as well. They have a dial on the top that would allow for "on the fly" adjustment.

Good shocks and inserts are one of, if not the best investment for a 914.
www.pmbperformance.com
Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
If there is any issue at all it would be with shot bushings in the trailing arm.
lift the wheel off the ground and remove. grab the trailing arm and push it side to side. if it wiggles at all the bushings need replacing.

I have never seen a empi rim come even close to the inner fender well. unless you some how have an Empi with 914 backspace (rare).
Old 03-16-2009, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ricard View Post
If there is any issue at all it would be with shot bushings in the trailing arm.
lift the wheel off the ground and remove. grab the trailing arm and push it side to side. if it wiggles at all the bushings need replacing.

I have never seen a empi rim come even close to the inner fender well. unless you some how have an Empi with 914 backspace (rare).
I did that and the arm did not move. The shock must have a leak. I thought they were user adjustable, not self adjustable.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
It makes no difference if the shock has a leak or not

The shock should not be holding up your car. the springs do. Yes KYB is gas charged and may slightly affect resting ride hieght but nothing really consistently measureable.

Were you able to fix the loose lower shock bolt?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ricard View Post
It makes no difference if the shock has a leak or not

The shock should not be holding up your car. the springs do. Yes KYB is gas charged and may slightly affect resting ride hieght but nothing really consistently measureable.

Were you able to fix the loose lower shock bolt?
It did not move ...will spray some lube stuff on it and see if I can get it to turn later today.
if not the shock wonder why it would sink? I was thinking the shock would contribute to the ride height.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I couldn't budge the shock bolt. I also tried to tighten the bolt on the bottom of the arm towards the front but that did nothing.
Not sure what else I should try here. I inspected everything, seems both sides look the same, measured the shock bolt end not much difference between the two sides. Is there some trick to getting that shock bolt to turn?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Cut off wheel

Send me an email and I'll get a new one out to you.
mk4526gunner at hotmail
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I finally got the shock bolt loose. Could not tighten it down anymore, but at least I can get the shock off now.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I just read an ad from AA on new repro replacement rear springs. Due to spring sag which is says was common on 914 4. Sounds like that might be my issue?
Anyway got the bolt from Joe ( thanks!) and it's the same as the one on there now.
Added some washers to space the back side, and I will see how it lines up.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: