Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ECU Installation

Would someone please explain to me how the ECU is installed/removed. I think a mechanic swapped my old one out and replace it with a really beat looking one. I want to remove it to clean it up and paint it. Is this a simple op or should I just leave well enough alone? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Some of that depends on if the car has air conditioning or not.

In most 914s, the ECU is attached to a bracket on the front side of the battery tray. There are two halves of the bracket, one that stays on the ECU and one that stays on the tray. There are two bolts that go downward into the bracket. You can loosen them (you don't have to remove them) and then slide the ECU toward the left side of the car.

To unplug the wiring harness from the ECU, you have to slide off the plastic cover. To do that, there is a clamp that holds the cable onto the ECU case, which has a tab on it that keeps the cover from sliding off.

The A/C cars (and possibly some later cars without) have the ECU bolted to the firewall with a couple of brackets.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-02-2009, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: