Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
APorsche914

Tried a turbo yet?

i know this question has been up here before, but i was wondering if anybody has ever put a turbon their 914?. or do you know of any place that sells turbos, i know CB performance has one for the vw. and also, how much cutting and welding would have to be done to mount it on the headers, and how hard would it be to rig up a wastegate and all that kinda neat stuff. i setup for the one cb has seems pretty simple, but i dont want to get it and then find out i cant mount it to my exhaust.... thanx
Old 12-16-1998, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think the 914 would be perfect, low compression ( my 1.8 has about 7.5 C/R I belive or even lower )All I would like is a little more power than my 88 rated horsepower , 150 and I'd be happy. Turbo City has a kit for dune buggies that they claim will put out 200 hp for a stock engine, they want $3600 for the kit which includes a programmable fuel injection. When I called about the 914 I was told they have nothing off the shelf but for about $3500 a custom setup could be done. Mike Zois in Santa Barbara was selling a turbo last month for $1000. I'm not sure if he still has it, I would like to buy it myself but I'm waiting to see if I get laid off from work (Silcon Valley).I read that MSD or MDS or some company similar made a turbo kit about 15 years ago for the 914, they have ads in Excellence for aircleaners and conversions for 911 and v-8 powered VW vanagons, I ordered a catalog but no mention about kit.
If you get any good info, can you please update us all ? Mike

Old 12-16-1998, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Michaels turbo which was posted on the Renagade site is gone. The company you are refering to was/is MSDS run by Martin Schnider. There is currently a turbo for sale in Mid-Engined Views, I spoke to the owner and it sounds interesting. Kit comes complete with cam and has provision for heat. The number in the ad is 707 794 9620 in Penngrove, CA.
Old 12-16-1998, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Victor,
What is Mid-Engined views?
Old 12-17-1998, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mid-Engined Views is a quarterly publication put out by the 914/914-6 club of America
I spoke with the seller of the turbo kit, he told me that he bought it from a company called Crown Engineering in the L.A. area in about 1974 so that his 914 would run better at high altitude (Tahoe area). Sounds like a very complete kit, including an optional cam to install. If I had an extra $800 I'd be there this weekend to buy it, as he is only a few hours away from me. If someone from this forum does buy it, I'd love to get some pictures and better descriptions of the kit for possible duplication, as I'm sure a few others would also like to.

Old 12-18-1998, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
APorsche914

i called the man w/ the turbo kit for sale and made him an offer, he said hed take it, but someone else was also interested in it, but told me he wouldnt sell it w/o telling me first, if i do buy the kit ill be sure to post pics of it on my web page, and give updates time to time on performance and problems, and anything else that would be worth sharing
Old 12-18-1998, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm glad I could point you in the right direction. I hope you get the kit. Keep us all posted. (-:
Old 12-31-1998, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Michael

I have used the Rajay turbo on my bugs back in the 70s. I recently purchased a 914 2.0 that had one installed. It ran very well, and it was a clean installation.

I have since sold the turbo unit to a friend who is putting it on a 75 1.8.
Old 12-31-1998, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
APorsche914

hey everyone..well..the turbo arrived today, thurs the 4th, i got it all unpacked and man is there a bunch of stuff, i got the turbo, the headers, the cam, a muffler, a fi brain, 4 injectors, intake manifolds, a pressure sensor and a few other fi sensors, air cleaner, all the plumbing, and a few other little extra pieces needed for installation....and all that for $700. i think it was a pretty good deal. if you would like any pics or info let me know, i am going to post them on my web page, just let me know and ill give you the address....thanx for the replies, and ill put some more posts up when i get some more info..ian
Old 02-04-1999, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
BTW, Robert Zampardi (dC Automotive, www.dcautomotive.com , recently mentioned a big nasty zoomy Type IV motor his shop just got. It has a turbo of some kind on it. I think he wants to sell the motor and turbo together, but it might be worth contacting him.

--DD
Old 02-05-1999, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Please post the address to your website, as I would be very interested in seeing the pictures of the turbo kit you recently purchased. Thanks.
Old 02-16-1999, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
APorsche914

ok..the address to my page for the turbo kit is http://members.aol.com/a914turbo/914turbo.htm

Old 03-08-1999, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: