Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Got another (good) parts car today w/2.0

I found a great barn-yard find this week. Literally, the car is in a barn.

In the heart of the city and just 1/2 a mile from my house, a neighbor of mine told me of a 914 that's been parked for years.

He said it was at this horse stable. What? I live in the center of the city...what horse stable? As it turns out, there is a small horse ranch that is surrounded by appartment buildings that is only 1/2 a mile from my house.

So, I go to check out the car and sitting in an old barn (albeit completely open to the elements on one side) are two Porsches - A 1973 914 2.0 and a 1956 356. Both cars are complete and covered. The 914 is covered with a tarp that is tied at every possible point and even wrapped up underneath. In addition, the 914 looks like a complet cube because they put a large truck camper over it and then wrapped it up.

I found out who the owner is and called him - I bought the car today. The guy is the original owner and the car has 70k original miles. He told me that he had the engine rebuilt about 20k miles before he parked it. It's been parked since 1987.

So today, I unwrapped the car and got to take a good look. It's 100% complete and even has the took kit and orig spare (and I mean original tire which has never been used). I couldn't see any rust and the battery box looks perfectly straight and still painted red. It has a battery that's 20+ years old and dead as hell but it does not seem to have rotted out the tray.

The car has perfect fuchs and there's not a single dent in the center caps. It has front & rear swaybars. The driver seat has a small tear but that's it. The back pad looks factory new. The dash has cracks. It even has the original 8-track player with about 15 tapes.

Anyway, I probably paid too much ($1,000) but I'm basically going to part this car out and put all the best on my own 1974.

Any advice regarding getting the 2.0 engine refreshed...I'll take it. My car has a 1.8 and I no nothing about D-Jet - I guess I will have to learn.

I'll post som pics after I get back to the car and get it towed home (probably this weekend).
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

Why would you part out a car like that? It's a 70k mi one owner '73 2.0 with the full appearance group and everything present and accounted for. If you don't want that car, do the 914 community a favor and flip it into the hands of someone that wants it. They didn't make that many '73 2.0's and unmolested ones are getting harder and harder to find. They are the third most collectible 914 model after the 914/6's and the Can Am LE's.

Just one man's two cents
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I may do just that. But, I have a very good '74 in may garage that needs an engine. I want to keep the best of everything from both cars so that I can have one really good car. But, I need to get this car home and do a through inspection first.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
gearhead

It's your car and it's not really my place to tell you what to do with your property. I just like to see the survivors kept together. I've put my fair share of questionable 914's and 912's out of their misery. They aren't all worth saving.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-10-2009, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

+1 flip it and use the money to buy a parts car. It should go to a good home. The purpose of a barn find is to find an unmolested original that time forgot. Don't cut it up.

Scott
Old 09-12-2009, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe I made this sound a little grander than it is....but here it is:

I was hoping to get some pics "in the barn" but they had it pulled out when I got there today.

It's filthy - Clean Car Photos Tomorrow.......

Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

that is such a original car, it would be a shame to part it out.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

pm sent
Old 09-20-2009, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I listened .....some.

I parted out the interior but I decided to keep the body. I've always wanted to get my '74 painted but to do it right, I know I need to completely strip the car. This is easier said than done when you are going to have to put everything back.

So, I figured the best way to get a car painted is to have a spare shell that is in good condition - get a fantastic paint job and then transfer everything from my '74 which has a mint condition interior, lights, wheels, etc.. but suffers from hell hole rust, a previous paint job that is not the original color (in desperate need of a 3rd paint job)....yada, yada, yada. Plus the new car has the swaybar mounts factory welded in - that's a plus.

I was browsing on 914club.com and I found this fantastic thread about painting your 914 at home.... How I painted my 914 - 914Club.com

I know I can do it and I have 95% of the correct tools to do the job professionally. I've never painted a car before but (check out that thread). If I take my time, I know I can do it. I just need to get used to the idea of having a Phoenix Red (orange) car.

The car had the original window sticker in the car and the more I think about it, the more I like it! Not to mention, the tool kit, original owner's maintenance records, etc... It has a broken windshield, which is even better for painting since I won't hesitate to remove it.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
gearhead

Cool plan. I like. I've seen that paint thread. It's a great resource.

The '72 I just "donated" to a friend turned out to have the window sticker under the passenger seat. I only found it right as I was cleaning the car out to make sure I didn't leave any golden treasures behind. Turned out to be a Colorado original car even though it spent a period in Montana in the 90's. According to the sticker it had the complete appearance groupe added for something like $471!!! I took one last look at it before it rolled away and everything from the group was still there on the car (including the leather {not leatherette} wrapped steering wheel. I guess what I am getting at is the "archeology" of these old cars is pretty cool.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I bought this car with the express purpose of fixing up my '74. The '73 has a 2.0, fairly low miles, and the original owner told me he had it rebuilt 20k miles before storing the car for 22 years. (not that that means anything after storing 22 years)

My '74 has mint interior, real leather steering wheel (as well as an original wood Nardi wheel).
Swapping the engine is easy but I would still have a '74 in need of a paint job.

This really is the best plan for me and I have room to store the cars until my project is done. I'm working on the engine now and getting the tin and intake manifold & runners powder coated. I will spend the next few months studying up on painting and hopefully, I can do as good of a job as Thomas did in that thread. I think it will be even easier since I will be working with a shell and the color is not metalic

Vern
Old 09-28-2009, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
gearhead

It's not that different from what I'm doing. My bumblebee is an abortion. It's got a bunch of stuff "wrong" with it for it to be collectible. It's got a 5 bolt conversion and a 916 glass bumper. It's got a "racing" exhaust. Etc. Etc. My '73 2.0 is rough but has lots of little bits and pieces that are right for the bumblebee. Things like the original muffler and heat exchangers, and that super rare LE original front spoiler.

I am systematically pulling things off of the '73, turning it into a bit of a rat rod, and making the bumblebee right. And I've got another '74 2.0l in the side yard to donate some parts as well. It's really the most cost effective way to "restore" these cars. Guys used to do this with 911's all the time until 911's started to get so danged valuable. Thank Dog they made so many 914's. I could never put 20 or 30 or 40k into an old 914. I love them but that's a lot of money that I don't have. I removed just a couple of needed parts off of that $300 '72 before I literally gave it away. But if I had to buy the parts I kept on the open market it would have been upwards of $500 for the stuff.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Keep that 73 alive!! That is a great car. Be a shame to see it die.
72 911 RSR clone (needs full restoration)
2008 Yamaha Apex 375 hp@17 psi boost 525 lbs
Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: