Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

can anyone post up the wiring on back of gauges and where it goes?

hi guys, ive just got a beetle that has 914 gauges in the dash, black centres, possibly 74-76, havnt really a clue but just guessing.

anyway, im trying to hook up the wiring in the correct order can anyone help?? hope my pics help.

fuel gauge/temp gauge

and the tacho

and wiring from the back......

please help guys, the cars provisionally sold if i can sort this!

many many thanks from a newbie.....
Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Old 09-26-2009, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The combo gauge wiring is not quite the same as for your combo gauge--the diagram shows the wiring for the fuel gauge, but not the temp gauge. The temp gauge wiring (the round plastic plug in the back of the temp gauge module) will be +12V, ground, and the temp sender wire.

The sender wire plugs into the "G" terminal.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

by far best forum yet!!! might just need to figure out what the wires actually do now dave if possible- all except the ground/ earth ones!

brill diagam too! thanks a million.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Black with blue stripe is "hot" when the headlights or parking lights are on. In the 914, the voltage is controlled with a dimmer or variable resistor so you can change how bright the gauge illumination is.

Red with a white stripe gets power any time the key is on.

Brown you already know about.

Just about all of the other colors on there are signal wires.

--DD

Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
Black with blue stripe is "hot" when the headlights or parking lights are on. In the 914, the voltage is controlled with a dimmer or variable resistor so you can change how bright the gauge illumination is.

Red with a white stripe gets power any time the key is on.

Brown you already know about.

Just about all of the other colors on there are signal wires.

--DD
cheers dave and bowlsby, one question- the only problem i have with my gauges is that when i switch key on, indicator bulb in the tacho clicks away, even without indicator arm in gear and the lights all round the car do not flash, its only the bulb in the dash and the relay clicks away too................... also the warning lights dont work in that unit and yet the side lights illuminate when i pull the light switch on the dash (in a beetle remember)

this leads me to think the wiring to the tacho still aint right....and i think ive guessed whats wrong.

on tacho.......... photo below, +12 (11 on your diagram) goes to switched 12v, - (13) goes to negative, but where does the other contact go(purple and black stripe)? it says 1 on the casing. and would this wire missing cause the indicator light and relay to click??

Last edited by buggyboyshane; 09-29-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Administrator

Garage
Black with a purple stripe (denoted "black/purple") on the 914 is the tach signal wire. It plugs into the coil (-) terminal, the same one that the points plug into.

According to the diagram above, the blue/white wire is the turn signal wire (on a 914). It looks like it is plugged into a light bulb holder on your tach, which is good. The holder looks like it has two connections on it. If that is really the case, the other connection should have a ground wire connected to it. It looks to be in the wrong location, though, in the parking light indicator position.

The blue/red wire in your pic looks like it is hooked up to the turn signal indicator. I don't know what that wire carries in the Bug. It also looks to be hooked up to a two-connector light bulb, which should probably have a ground wire on it. (Unless that blue/red wire provides the ground for whatever it gets hooked to, which doesn't seem too likely.)

You have white/red wires that look to be hooked up to the instrument illumination lights. Is that what circuit they are on? Check for +12V when the headlights or parking lights are on.

On the combo gauge, it looks like three of your lights are two-connector ones, while two only have a single connector. The two-connector ones always need some power and some ground to go to them; often the power is "switched power" (red/white in a 914) that is "hot" when the key is on, and the ground is provided by the sender of whatever signal is being shown. (There are one or two exceptions, like the alternator light.)

I can't really tell what that blue/yellow wire is doing on your combo gauge. It looks like it is trying to be a power or a ground for both?

You need to figure out what the wires in your car do, and match that up with what the 914 gauges want to see. If you have a wiring diagram for the Bug, that will make it easier. If not, you will need to dig into there with a multimeter and see what has +12V under what circumstances, and what is grounded when.

--DD

Old 09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

hi dave, im at a total loss here, at that +12 terminal, there should be a switched live? yes? ok........ from my switched live in fuse box it goes to my combo gauge, i can get all warning llights working in correct sequence. then it continues from the combo to +12 on the tacho. i also have it earthed, leaving only the 1 terminal with no connection (this should go to the coil).

with regards to the bulbs;

the 2 red and grey wires go to side lights, which work perfectly and illuminate the tacho when light switch is on.

the blue and white is high beam (does not seem to work)

and blue and red are indicator(flasher) which goes all the time at in increased rate when the key is turned, although flashes correctly when left or right turn is selected and hazard switch is selected.

the bulbs themselves for the sidelights have only one terminal, so take it they must ground through the case itself. the other bulbs in the tacho have one main terminal which a link (eg indicator flasher) can be attached to but the other side small and not meant for connecting. as a test, i ran wire from switched fuse to the spare unusable side of the light, but....... fuse popped. what the heck is going on?? everything else in the car works a treat, except this one thing! please help guys.

what im thinking is i still have no power as such to the tacho housing (+12)...... will the missing connection to the coil have anything to do with my problems?

is there any way anyone out there could test this for me by simply pulling tacho connection of coil??

any other ideas??

Last edited by buggyboyshane; 09-30-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: