Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brake calipers

Is it possible to put front brake calipers on the rear if you are not concerned with having an emergency brake?

Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, it is. I know several people who have done so. Most have done that in conjunction with bigger brakes up front, so as not to shift the brake bias too far back. Remember, locking up the rear brakes before the fronts is a Very Bad Thing. Unless you really want to take a look at where you just came from...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave, What would you recommend as a replacement for rear calipers for my 75 914.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I recommend 914 rear calipers. They have the parking brake (either absolutely critical or really convenient, depending on your state's inspection policies) and they work pretty well. Besides, the back of the car doesn't do much braking anyway.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

Dave,
So if one were to do a 5 bolt conversion up front and throw on some "M" calipers it wouldn't pose any issue with keeping the stock rear calipers? TIA for clarification.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Brake calipers

Hi my 2 cents worth

When I upgraded the brakes on my car, I went to KONI struts and the alloy S calipers with vented rotors in front. I have 1970/71 era 911 front calipers on the rear of my 914 to accomodate the vented rotors. Dave is right on his reminder to all of us on the E brake issue and I have two. I have an in line drag racer's "LINE LOK" which holds the brake fluid pressure and the ever reliable chock block for steep inclines. Another alternative is the 1970 911 rear calipers which have the spacer block to widen the caliper enough to use vented rotors.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: