Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to kena
Thumbs up Electrical Problem during road trip

Took a chance and drove my 93k 76 2.0 from SanJose to SanDiego covering @1100 miles. I left Thursday morning and returned on Sat. After a few hours on 101 I started driving the car hard averaging around 80-90 mph all the way down and back up...had to to stay out of the way of all the aggressive southern cal. SUV drivers!! Anyway the car ran great and didn't break and leave me stranded. I have no idea what the PO may have done to the engine so I was a bit concerned since I read all the horror stories about 80/90k being the limit on these engines. Very little oil consumption and the car wanted to run fairly easily around 100mph. BTW...about 20 911's and Boxters were on a road trip on Saturday and not one of them honked or flashed me as we passed each other.
I think they were surprised to see me coming on a stretch of lonely road between 101 and the coast highway and I was hauling as....!
Anyway, I noticed as I was almost back to SanJose and it started raining that when I turned on the wipers the gas guage would flip to the empty mark and stay there as if it were shorting out.
Any advice as to where to look for this problem?
PS: I didn't see one other 914 on my way down and back. Stayed in Selana Beach and never saw one there either.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Roll the fuses in their holders.Do you have a Fusebox cover on? Steve
Old 11-11-2001, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
I could not edit prior post.After posting

Also check the Ground point .Steve
Old 11-11-2001, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Kena, The symtom you describe seems as if it would have more than one consequence. If your fuel gauge goes to empty when the windshield wipers on turned on, then, are you sure that you don't also have a flickering generator charge light and maybe a, less than responsive tach? In any case, I would make sure that the fuse, S9 is solid in it's holder and that the contacts are clean.
After you check things out, let the forum know if there is any other abnormal indication. (Maybe some PO miswired something ing the past).
Phil
Old 11-11-2001, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. The tach is stabile and appears normal. I will check the fuses. The charge light is also ok. It doesn't come on and flicker. System is charging ok. I just installed a new voltage regulator the other day as the original was not regulating the voltage properly when a load was put on the system..ie. lights and heater motor together. That is the only new variable since the problem started.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Kena,
The windshield motor and mechanizm is in the same area as
the wiring from the fuel tank level sensor. Suggest you inspect this area carefully to make sure there is no interference. I have a hunch that this might be your problem.
Phil
Old 11-13-2001, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Arrow

Check the ground as Steve suggested. The ground for the fuel sender goes to the wiper motor and then to the ground stud above the fuse box. If this ground has an open or high resistance it would cause the problem you describe.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Question

Thanks everyone for your help. I removed the clear fuse cover and rotated the fuses. No effect. Now I need to locate the ground stud above the fuse panel. Do I need to drop it to see this ground?
Old 11-14-2001, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well it took awhile to get around to this, but I checked the ground post above the fuse panel and the wires were frayed and not connected solidly to the post. After reconnecting the grounds the problem disappeared. Steve and Ed: you were right on!
Old 12-13-2001, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: