Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Paint your Engine

So, has it been decided whether it is worthwhile to paint an engine? If so, what parts, what color? How about the FI pieces?
And the tin?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would recomend Por-15. They are at www.por-15.com. They have the best engine paint you can get, sold in a kit if you want even.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Bob Hoover and others recommend against painting the T-4 case. It is aluminium and won't corrode like the magnisium T-1 case and 901 trans case. Engine paints withstand high temps but also help to insulate the motor. If you must paint it use a flat black nomal paint to help disperse heat. Painting the cylinders IS a good idea because they are cast iron and rust. Also the flat black helps them to stay cooler.

A polished case, valve covers or pushrod tubes, are about the worst thing for heat. Polished surfaced reflect heat, so the polished outer surface reflects heat back into the engine.

Polished/painted tinware and accesories aren't a problem because the air is flowing past them so fast they don't heat soak, and they aren't generating heat.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cool

I was thinking about having my engine tin chromed. Has anyone out there done this? How did it look?

Rich
'73 1.7
'74 2.0
Old 11-12-2001, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Pelican Parts

I've seen a chromed set, and a few painted (not black) sets. They look great for about 15 minutes, then they get dirty. Then they just look.... dirty.

Light colors (and chrome) throw the light around a lot better, though. It's a lot easier to see what you're doing and harder to loose parts and tools and fasteners.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-13-2001, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Now this is a first, I have never heard of the physics of polished aluminum reflecting heat back into the engine. I think I am going to try this theory. Scientifically of course with a infared temp sensor test both side of case. Should be equal temps right? then polish one side test again to see if either side is cooler. Who's with me?
Old 11-13-2001, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think there is a misunderstanding on the polished/flat black issue.
A flat black will have a higher emmissivity than a polished surface. That is kind of a general statement, but generally accurate. It is not that a polished surface reflects heat back in, it just does not radiate heat out as well.
Polishing the areas above the headers would help!
I can't see any harm in doing whatever to the tin. I painted mine red. It helps me see when I have all the leaked oil cleaned up.
Karl P>
Old 11-14-2001, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I had my 2.7 case (magnesium) and gearbox case coated inside and out with HPC SO2 which is a black teflon oil shedding coating. Sheds oil on the inside and stops corrosion on the outside and road much doesn't stick to it. I suspect it also radiates heat better.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: