Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Prop valve on BMW conversion

1) Do I have to mess with the prop. valve after converting the front brakes to BMW calipers. Can I leave it as is.

2) What is the best length for the hard brake line to use.

3) Will the BMW calipers clear Riviera wheels.

I read the tech article but was still left with these questions. Any advice will be useful.

One more thing, what is the difference between loaded and unloaded calipers and which ones do I need.

Thanks

Cliff

Last edited by cliff; 11-13-2001 at 02:10 PM..
Old 11-13-2001, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just did this conversion. I used 12" lines. The calipers do not appear to be any worse from a clearance standpoint then the stock calipers. I order my "tee" from Porsche. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. $22. I got a little anxious when PP said they could not get it so I went straight to the Big House and they said they could get it in three days. Oh well, you live and you learn. Let me know if you have any other questions...I took lots of pics.
JB
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 11-13-2001, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I did the 19mm master cylinder, and very sticky pads. I can lock up my brakes pretty well now.

DSPTurtle, Are you noticing that much difference with the BMW calipers? I mean, 40% more pad hitting the rotor is a lot, but is it that much of a difference? Maybe I am getting too used to crappy brakes.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Getting used to crappy brakes, Seems I get my reaction distance calibrated to one car after awhile. The problem comes when I have been driving the 928 and then jump in the 914. "Little brakes equals long stopping distance". Maybe I should put that sign in my field of view.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Now that I have the pads bedded in a little better, yes, I am noticing a big difference. At first I was really dissappointed cause it was a lot of work and there seemed to be no difference. But, two things, I am running organic pads and I have not yet removed the Prop valve. I was unwilling to spring for fancy pads until I was sure this worked. The "tee" is on order and when that gets here I am going to move the stock front rotors to the back to experiment. Overall, it has been worth it so far but I believe it will be even better once I get "real" pads and yank out the prop valve. Oh yeah, I have a bottle of "Blue" brake fluid that is going in at the same time.
I want to see what a difference that makes. My objective is to outbrake my 944. I am getting close but not there yet. I will keep you posted.
JB
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 11-21-2001, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Loaded vs Unloaded Calipers

In the industry, "loaded" means they come with the pads and "unloaded" - you guessed it.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: