Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Unhappy sorry Wayne but the new board sucks

I known I probably need a newer, faster, better computer, but this is crazy. This is the slowest loading site i've ever been on. After you finally get to view the list of posts, and you click on one that looks interesting, the whole thing starts over. Then after you read the message and click the back button, you end up on an index page. Three cookie requests later and your finally back to the list of posts. I don't have time for all this. Then when you try to post a message, your not logged in?? I liked the old site. I've tried to reply to a few posts but couldn't get the thing to work. I guess I'll just go out and work on my car.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Hmmm. I am not having the same experience.

Granted, the new software is slightly slower than the old one. It's also more "feature rich" and the pages are (apparently) being generated on the fly from a real live database now. And Wayne says it can handle much more traffic and volume than the old stuff, which is fantastic news.

Could it be an issue with your connection and/or your browser?

I am using IE 6.0 on Windows 2000, via 768KB DSL at home and T1 at work.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 11-13-2001, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
umm.. my grip with the new setup is the intermediate pages it makes you go through, first the big logo page telling us that it's a new board setup, then a whole new page where i have to scroll down to click on the proper link..

maybe that's just a temporary thing?.. but if i were to vote, i'd keep the new board system, but have the old links re-established, ie. i click on the "914 BBS" link on the left of the main page, it takes me directly to the 914 bbs, not another page that lists all the different boards..

i know it's a free service, and you're doing a great job providing all this free info.. it's just my 0.02..

Last edited by oredith; 11-13-2001 at 10:09 PM..
Old 11-13-2001, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oredith
umm.. my grip with the new setup is the intermediate pages it makes you go through, first the big logo page telling us that it's a new board setup, then a whole new page where i have to scroll down to click on the proper link..
I always just keep a separate bookmark for the BBS index page, and don't go to the pelican home page if I'm headed for the BBS.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

I read the 911 list and the parts boards too, so I usually start off at that "switchboard" page.

The home page BBS links should definitely go straight to the described board though, I agree.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If I were Wayne I'd make everyone look at a PP ad or promo before they could do anything, but luckily for everyone, me no he. I just bookmark the BBS page I participate in, no problem.
It is a bit slower, but the preservation and accessiblility of the archives alone is worth the small penalty. There are a lot of other cool features too. You can shut off those little avatars in your user profile to speed things up a bit.
Thanks for all your efforts Wayne.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 11-14-2001, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hay Rich. You probably need a better internet connection, not a faster computer. My cable modem at home and the T1 at work seam to handle things just fine. The way of the future is to drop the phone line connection (they are just too slow). Now that the majority of the world is getting a chance to get a faster connection, the "programmers" are designing more complicated things. Look at this board and try to picture it on an old BBS from the early 90's... Improvment? I think so.

Wayne, I like the board. The redirecting page could go, or at least fix the main page so that when I click 914 BBS it takes me to the 914 BBS or change the text to Pelican Parts BBS. Anyway, my thoughts.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yep.. the reloads are pretty slow and annoying and I am on a superfast internet connection, I imagine if I was on a slower connection it would really be bad and not just annoying...

not everyone has fast connections.

- Dave
Old 11-14-2001, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I also am on a fast connection T1 at work and Cable at home.
had I have had no problems with anything.
the only real difference is the entrance page stating that the board has been upgraded.

I personally could not bear to wait for a dial up connection after using a broadband connection.

My $.02

Kelly
Old 11-14-2001, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

I'm not noticing any slowdown. This place is still faster than that majority of the forums that I frequent and I really like the new look. Nice job Wayne.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 11-14-2001, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Just curious...are you guys who're experiencing slow response time using a Netscape browser, Microsoft IE, or other (Opera etc.)?

I have had issues with my own software where it was unbelievably slow in some client/browser environments and lightening fast in others, with exactly the same code.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Thumbs up

I'm running a Dell laptop with a P-II/300, 224M RAM, Win98SE, Netscape 4.78 (IE bites), and a dial-up at work.

The site seems to load 'bout the same, even with all the "Latest & Greatest" stuff attached. It appears busier in appearance than the old, but more up-to-date and configurable.

Smooth move, Wayne.

Old 11-14-2001, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Like I said, I probably could stand an up grade. I use an IBM 365XD Think Pad, 1Gig hd, 16mg ram, 56K PCMCI modem, land line, and Netscape 4.0. I'll try my work computer later to night. Think Pad T20 operating on Windows NT, internal modem, land line. As soon as I can figure out how to network off my kids cable I'll have a faster connection. Anyone Getting sent off to someplace other than the BBS when using your back button?

anti-paradime?
Old 11-14-2001, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rich
Like I said, I probably could stand an up grade. I use an IBM 365XD Think Pad, 1Gig hd, 16mg ram, 56K PCMCI modem, land line, and Netscape 4.0.
Ouch!

Even before you can lash-up to the cable modem, you would probably get a tremendous boost by putting more RAM in that there 'puter! Your browser cache is basically in-effective because your operating system is eating all the RAM you have, and then some, and is probably swapping stuff out to disk constantly.

I run 256MB in my laptop, and 384MB in my main home & work desktop PC's. (Even more in the server machines.)

A lot of people get caught up in the Intel hype about CPU clock speeds and so forth, and don't realize that RAM and hard disk speed are way bigger factors in response time for most normal PC programs & users.

I use a 1997 vintage P-II 300 Dell at work. But, it has a modern 30GB 7200 RPM disk drive, 384MB of RAM, and a decent nVidia graphics card. It is more than snappy enough for most tasks. Including this board. (Well, the 1.54Mbps T1 and 100Mbps LAN backbone doesn't hurt.)

Anyways, good luck & have fun,
Old 11-14-2001, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I'll chime in again

First, Rich and anyone running under 64M ram, either get more ram or it's time for an upgrade.

Next, NS 4.0 and 4.78 are better then the newest NS6. Either way, you should run IE (it should be on your computer) click Tools and then Windows Update. Follow the instructions to maintain the latest and greatest crap the MS has to offer. This will help in many ways includeing sealing security leaks in your current operating system. It's very easy to do.

BTW (since we're posting our computers) I am running a PII 400 (overclocked to 800) with 1gig Ram 80gig HD space. I've upgraded the computer to handle the twin turbo NOS inlet port that has been polished for optimum disk access times. The Monitor is running a 12V electrical system with the muffler bearings upgraded to the lube kind.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
I dont know anything about computers. But I have DSL and a new computer its is six months old. What I do know is that many other BBS suck because of the format lay out. Not PP it very user friendly. Thanks Wayne. Steve
Old 11-15-2001, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Ya, Like I said, Up grade time. I'm not a computer Guy and that's not where my priorities lay. All the things Wayne posted about making the site better are great. I love this biz, and this BBS. All I know is The other site was more user friendly for us guy's that are behind the times. One thing's for sure. It's a good thing this soft ware can accept more posts. I've wasted enough space with my dribble. Feel Free to delete this thread if you want. I've said my peace.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to funnyguy Send a message via AIM to funnyguy
not a bad site...

I don't think the new BBS is a table-heavy site. it renders quite well in Galeon 0.12.7 (Mozilla 0.9.5). I doubt there's any issues in IE is renders tables on-fly as well. Netscape 4.x don't render on-fly if i recall, so the page may seem to load slower, although its really not. Netscape in general isn't a great table handler...

As for the BBS being slow. It could be IIS. If they were to switch to apache (*cough* which owns IIS in every way *cough*) they could install mod_php. But php is fast in general, and probably not the culprit. Any holdup seen is probably due to how the BBS stores things in its database. Which is probably a series of flat files.

But if you want someone to blame. Blame The Man(tm). Windows and MAC users, use IE or Mozilla. Unix, use galeon+mozilla, It rocks.

'76 914 2.0 rust machine
'03 TrailBlazer LTZ 4x4
Old 11-20-2001, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by campbellcj
Just curious...are you guys who're experiencing slow response time using a Netscape browser, Microsoft IE, or other (Opera etc.)?

I have had issues with my own software where it was unbelievably slow in some client/browser environments and lightening fast in others, with exactly the same code.

You nailed it for me Chris... old 4.7 version of Netscape was the throttle point. IE handles the table stuff quite well as probably do the later versions of Netscape.

- Dave
Old 11-20-2001, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's fine with NetScrape 4.77 on both MacOS 9.1 and Red Hat LINUX 6.1. May be a prob specific to the Windows version of NS. (A paranoiac would say it's a problem that Bill had put into Windoze to mess up NS... )

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-20-2001, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: