Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

Poll: helpful? Should PP do a tech article?
Poll Options
helpful? Should PP do a tech article?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Installing new wheel bearings in new rotors.

Mybe you all know this already, but here's how I did it.

1. I assumed the race and roller bearing are a matched set so I only did one rotor at a time.

2. Wear leather gloves.

3. Heat the rotor on a hot plate until it starts to smoke from the shipping grease and annoy you. In the mean time have the races in the freezer.

4. Place the rotor on the floor, insert the race (make sure it is right side up, because it won't want to come out if it is wrong), tap it in until it starts to stick. At this point it is in pretty far and won't cock and get stuck. I used a socket as a drift for the outer bearings and a round peice of wood cut with a 2 1/16" hole saw for the bigger inner bearing.

5. Clean it all with brake cleaner (once it's cooled off). Pack bearings properly, which means use your palm and scrap/force the grease through from one end to the other, or use one of those nifty bearing packers.

6. Install the seal with a flat peice of wood and a hammer (lite taps).

7. Use a random orbital sander on the rotor surface and it's away we go.

Thought the info might be useful, anyone with a better plan???

Old 11-26-2001, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Noonan,

Sounds like a good plan.

For item #4, I usually take an grind the old race's Outside diameter down a mm or so and use that as my custom bearing press-in tool.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I used a hammer and punch. There are notches "behind" the bearing race where you can fit the punch to drive the old one out. I think I used a special-pupose mandrel to tap the new races in, though I'm a bit foggy on that. I might have used a punch (tap lightly in three or so spots around the edge, one tap and move on--don't get the race tilted in the bore).

More than one way to skin this cat...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-27-2001, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
It works for me. I wash the rotors with acetone to remove the cosmoline on the surface of the rotor. Steve
Old 11-27-2001, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Proper Tools

Being a retired pro, I have an aluminum bearing race installer from Mac tools. I also have a brass punch to remove them. Both these tools prevent damage to the bearing race or the hub.

I also have a bearing packer, you just drop the bearing inside, and compress the plunger ( being a 140lb, vertically challenged person, I have to stand on it). This properly packs the bearings. Then I add grease to the races, and reassemble.

The bearing race installer is a worthwhile envestment. IIRC, it was about 50 bucks for the kit.

Clay Perrine

74 1.8L Signal Orange "Frody" ("Betty's Daily Driver")

73 2.4L MFI Six "Igor" (In The Body Shop)

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move all your 914 parts"
Old 11-27-2001, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

the Hayne's manual worked for me, didn't heat the surface up though, the rotor was fine, the bearing were shot, lots of grease and gentle tapping in and out

Old 11-28-2001, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: