Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Brake job on 320i conversion

Hello, I am in the middle of a total front end rebuild and while replacing the front pads on my 320i brakes I noticed the pistons are cut like the 914's. However, unlike the 914's there were no metal, triangular metal pieces to fill in the space. That is, only about 2/3rds of the edge of the piston contacts the back of the pad. Can this be right? Is there only the two pins, one spring clip, and the two pads on the caliper? What I think I am missing are the two gold colored clips in this picture next to the bolts.

http://pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/brakes/brake_caliper_rebuild_kit.JPG

I haven't found squat on the internet, and the calipers came loaded so I assume that they are right, but it "looks" wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-03-2001, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I got my calipers at a salvage yard and watched the guy take them off the Bimmer. There were no clips when I disassembeled mine either. I asked about them for the rebuild kit and the BMW guy looked at me like I was crazy. He said that those clips were not needed ever and I went on to tell him the virtues of the 914 and how those "rattle" clips were required. He told me to just put some of those hard rubber pads (silencing material) on the back of the brake pad and to be on my way. Maybe they existed at some point but I can't find them and mine seem to work okay without them.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-04-2001, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No clips required. I believe the piston design (2/3s contact area) is meant to eliminate chatter by pressing the back of the pad first.

Old 12-04-2001, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: