Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I need help please

I have a 1971 1.7 liter W code porsche motor that I can not get started. It has not run in about 2 years, but it was running fine when it was turned off. I have replaced points, condenser, plug wires, fuel pump. Checked the coil and comperssion. I have spark at the coil and pulled a spark plug to see if it sparked and it does. The compression is low (between 75-110 psi) but thought that was OK. It has duel carbs. I looked in the carbs when my son pushed the gas peddle. Gas is getting to the cards (watched it squirt in the carbs). Here is the strange thing. Last Friday it started for about 5 seconds, sounded good, and died. Hasn't started since. This is the first porsche/vw aircooled anything I have ever dealt with. I am a serious newbie to air cooled. I have rebuilt ford and chevy motors, and see no reason why this motor is not starting. Please help. Thank you very much.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You did try fresh gas yes?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It sounds as if you have a fuel delivery problem. Are you able to install a fuel
pressure guage between the carb and the fuel pressure regulator,provided that
you have a regulator. Some carb installations don't need them considering what
fuel pump you use.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You wont believe this. Friday night we could not get it to fire at all. We adjusted points, checked compression, and still nothing. The battery we had hooked up was an old one and we were having to jump it to get the motor to turn over. Late yesterday morning we decided to go get a new battery. Hooked it up, shot a little starter fluid in the carbs and she fired right up with out a problem. I adjusted the idle and she cranks every time. Amazing. I have been beating my head against the wall for a week!!
Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Coils need good power to run. low voltage makes weak spark.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

engine question

Can anyone help me, to identify the following Porsche 914/4 engine?
Is that 1.7l , 1.8l or 2.0l ?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The vertical spark plugs say 1.7/1.8, as does the manifold. The heater blower mount says 70-72 1.7.

The missing timing plug in the fan shroud says overheating...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you, Dave!

So it is 1.7 l engine.

"The missing timing plug in the fan shroud says overheating... "

Yes, the engine is no working yet. The car need restoration.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: