Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No 5th Gear

So I have a 1975 914 1.8 and i had the engine and transmission rebuilt about 2000 miles ago. All the sudden the other day 5th gear stopped working. I have checked to make sure nothing was getting caught up with the shifting rod and all the connections are good. I also spent about 4 hours adjusting the shifting and I could never get the car in the 5th gear. It feels like it’s almost there but kicks it back out. I was able to get it to grind a bit in to 5th gear. It will run in all the other gears no problem at all… I am thinking there is a problem with the transmission but thought I would get some other opinions any thought would be great.

Thanks,

Troy
Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
By adjusting do you mean at the shifter handle to rod interface?
If you loosen the clamp and push the rod further into the clamp then it might engage 5th.

Can you get it in 5th from the shift console at the transmission? disconnect the shift rod.

If it goes in 5th then it is back to your adjustment of the shift rod.

If it can't be shifted into 5th then it is inside the gear box. This is actually very easy to take apart.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Joe is right. You CAN remove the gear stack without pulling the whole tranny. I did this once just to prove it could be done.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: