Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Jerry McCarthy, dangerous shop owner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do NOT patronize Jerry McCarthy of Rennsport Vintage Werks in Pleasanton Ca.

here what happened to me:

i had my two cars in a shop in Pleasanton Calif a 356 and a 914. this is one shop to stay away from, I meet the shop owner on this webiste. he told me how he could expertly repair my cars, and showed some nice photos of his supposed past work.

he started on my 356 and did a nice looking job at fixing some door rust, but before he finished the doors, he for some reason decided to switch to the nose of the car (of course he was paid for the door work) he screwed up on the trunk big time, in a moment of probably marajuana haze. One night he cut the bottom of the battery tray (trunk floor) he used a plasma cutter and butchered the trunk sides front and rear. opps, the next day I see the damage and he tells me he made a mistake and thought the trunk was too low. but he would fix it. after a month or so with him ****ing around, I tell him he needs to buy a new trunk piece (they make repros !!!) he says he will only pay for half the cost as he still thinks he can re-use the buthered pieces so he will only pay for half ($500 is half)

At that point I say stop work on the trunk and await the new metal, the next day I find he butchered the trunk even further by drilling out (30 holes) a panel that we need to keep intact!

he then takes the doors he worked on the last year and finds that they dont fit the door opening in the body anymore. the ****ing doors stick out half an inch from the body, even with no hinge shims. he talks about moving the hinges on the body then I see he actually made one door 3/4 inch fatter than the other side (he replaced rusty door bottoms) after another month of him promising to fix it, all he did was over heat the doors and warp them more. this bastard likes to weld with the metal red hot and keep welding, then he qunches the panel with water, heck with rust, he says he will deal with it later. I finally told him no more water quenching, it is ruining the steel, yet he persisted.

I show up to see what is going on, and arrive before noon as agreed, he shows up half hour late but needs to take lunch first, half hour later he tells me he needs to run an errand. (yeah really important stuff, rather than deal with a customer that has already pre-paid him, he runs out to recylce his plastic water bottles while I cool my heals at his shop) he comes back and after crying about his broken truck, he starts welding on my doors, only to excuse himself for a potty break, 10 minutes later he arises out of the bathroom stinking like weed. then says he cant work on my car any more. (Thank God for that,, the guy is dangerous)

Meanwhile I notice that my 914 has two new dents, looks like someone dropped something heavy on the front fender, all dented and cut, he tells me he will fix that, then a bit later I notice the rear fender is oil canned, but pulled out, I ask him about that and he tells me he or his freind ran into my car, and that he will for sure take care of that for me. (the dam cheat never would have mentioned the 914 damage to me If I had not caught it)

so be forwarned, do NOT patronize Rennsport Vintage Werks of Pleasanton Calif. The shop is being run into the ground by Jerry McCarthy he claims his daddy is some famous porsche mechanic and he has a impressive looking photo album of cars he has worked on, however he is totally incapable. he is deaf, wears a hearing aid, and uses a telephone translater. do not let him touch your car.

After he damaged the 914 he told me he has no insurance, he is a rip off, thousands wasted on this guy and my cars are Both in worse shape then when he got them.

goes by Gerald McCarthy or Jerry McCarthy may be found in Pleasanton Calif, and has ties to Conneticut, he may try to set up shop out there.

Remeber that name Jerry McCarthy, use great caution if any deaf man tries to solicit any work for you. It may be Jerry, and he will rip you off.

His shop, Rennsport Vintage werks is a death trap for classic cars, run away from Jerry McCarthy the so called Porsche 914 356 expert, he is only an expert con artist.

he now is playing deaf and wont return his messages. how ironic!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jerry Mccarthy is still being deadbeat wont reply to my requests for payment for teh damages done to both the 914 or 356. ran inot the 914 and trioed to hide the damage. hid the incorrectly welded up doors on the 356 and I paid him for that work then he hangs the doors and has to re-do them, but after months of him fooling around with the doors he never finished them (he got stoned one day and told me he wont work on my car anymore) why finish them if your already paid?
Butchered my 356 trunk floor it was in excellent shpae and he just went ahead and plasma cut it out, with no explaination other than it was a mistake, and he never fixed it, nor paid for the damages as he promised.

he is still advertising himself as a high end Porsche restorer. don't believe anything this stoner says

mean while I wait for this dead beat to pay up
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

cars

If I might offer a suggestion. -- get your cars back rather than loose both of them. You probably will never see any money, nor will they get fixed. Jim
Old 10-03-2010, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jerry McCarthy is soliciting work also under the name RS Vintage Werks (aka RSVintage Werks) this is the same company as Rennsport Vintage werks. be sure to steer clear of this guy.

beware of RSVintageWerks of Peasanton Calif.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mammalian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dorociak View Post
if i might offer a suggestion. -- get your cars back rather than loose both of them. You probably will never see any money, nor will they get fixed. Jim

+1
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mammalian

Garage
home page
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
That web site..... YIKES!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So, did you get your cars back? Jim
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

he has his cars back.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

yes, i did get my cars out, damaged, but out of there. Gerry McCarthy told me he'd pay me for the damages, but so far I only got a token amount from him.

still awaiting payment from rsvintagewerks, still out thousands from rennsport vintage werks, two damaged cars, ugh!!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

still awaiting Jerry McCarthy to pay for the damages he did to my cars. he has been giving me more run around. first promise to pay, then wait , and wait, then a small token payment, then he says he'll come up with a plan, then silence.

Keep your cars away from him, he has NO insurance at his shop.

still going by... RS Vintage Werks, Rennsport Vintage Werks, uses name Jerry McCarthy, Gerald McCarthy and Gerry McCarthy.

Still he uses his somewhat famous daddy's name to try to generate bussiness.
so watch out all you 914, and 356 owners.

what a disaster!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Gerry McCarthy tells me he needs time to pay for the damages becuase he is trying to stay afloat. The thing is, I find that as he writes me that, he is selling his shop equipment on craigslist. does this sound right to anyone????

he refuses to answer any emails now.

beware!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Gerry McCarthy (aka Gerard McCarthy, Jerry McCarthy, Gerald McCarthy) is doing free lance auto repair now in Norhtern California. He sells his services as an expert in autobody and mechanical repair, referancing his stint at his Dads shop in CT (KAM motors) he probably wont refereance his stint at the California School for the Deaf as an autobody shop teacher as he was fired from there two years ago with cause. Dispite this "experience" and the photos he shows me, he did nothing but destruction on my cars and got my money by decieving me. Do not trust this man with your Porsche.

So far I have identified four people he has ripped off/or damaged their cars with no compenstation.
He actually went to remove the window winder mechanism on a convertable and couldn't figure it out, so he drilled out the pivot pins on the mechanism causing lots of damage, he never replaced that.

Beware of a deaf man in his mid fifties selling autorepair services. He was last seen around Pleasanton California

Last edited by dmenche914; 12-07-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
AWWWW jeeeez not this ssssssssssss..t again
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksix View Post
AWWWW jeeeez not this ssssssssssss..t again
Hmmmm......I appreciate getting warnings about shady or incompetent tradespeople. I would assume that anyone else would as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm...this guy went on a crusade here and on the 914 world. Same post over and over,not moving toward resolution,but posting the same thing over and over not really moving toward resolution, just posting the same thing over and over not really moving toward resolution...
Go to 914 world and read the stuff there.
A warning is one thing and I feel for the guy,but seeing the same thing posted over and over,not moving toward any resolution....
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

To answer you, I post this becuase the guy (jerry McCarthy, Gerard McCarthy, Gerry McCarthy etc...) is still trying to drum up suckers (like me) to rip them off on car repairs. he curently is out of Pleasanton California, and is 55 years old (DOB 12-10-57) He lied about his abilities, did shabby work. He lied and hid problems he created (major mistakes) so he could be paid. He used his limited hearing ability (deafness) to gain sympathy, he was caught getting stoned at work when a customer was present. He had several customers that believe he ripped them off. I saw the work he did on cars other than my own, it was shockingly bad. He crashed another car into mine, and wont pay for it, told me his friend did it while helping him, he carried no insurance, and he wont give the contact info for his "helper friend" Some of my car parts started to disappear, so that makes him a thief. You know he actaually told me he was being laid off from his autoshop class at the California School for the Deaf, only later did he admit he was fired for sex harrassment. This guy was one big lie.

This guy is a danger to the Porsche community, that is why the word needs to be spread, so he cant rip anyone off anymore. Remember new folks come to these forums all the time. At first I was fooled by him and even gave him a good review (this was early on, when he was still hiding the damages he caused). Dont be ripped off by this guy.

Last edited by dmenche914; 01-23-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I think the more you trumpet the names of sketchy MFers like this the better, thanks for the heads up.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Glad to post it for you Tobra, good old Gerard McCarthy (aka Jerry McCarthy) still playing games and not paying up. Beware of him, the deaf, fifty some year old man that claims to be a auto-body repair expert, deaf school shop teacher and KAM motors technician. Don't let him near your cars. Let me know if you see him.

He could be lurking near you. Last heard of in Pleasanton, Stockton area of California, known to frequent Fremont CA, and Connecticut.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Dude, ok we get it, do something about, take him to court, get his license pulled whatever, you will never get over it until you get closure.

Good luck
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: