Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

fuel pump not running on my 73 2 litre

I am starting to lose my cool with this car.Bought it in 2006 and got it registered last month.
Car has had bucking probs which are ongoing,I have changed to a spare TPS.The car runs perfect when cold but on a second test run there is a bit of bucking not major but annoying.
I have a spare ECU,correct one for the car so I believe,I hooked it up and went to start the car and there was no fuel pump running,needless to say no start.So I went back to the original ECU and you guessed it, no fuel pump running so no start.
All I did was change the ECU,now I have a car that is still bucking and no fuel supply.
Anyone help with the fuel pump mystery please,I can live with the bucking but the car is now immobile!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The fuel pump is controlled by the FI brain ...

- Check the connector on the brain and make sure it is seated correctly.

- Did you unplug the brain from the relay board? If so, make sure that connector is seated correctly as well.

- Check the fuel pump relay and switch with a known to be good one. The headlamp relays work fine for that.

Andy

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

While you are checking relays, it won't hurt to remove the relay board and look at the underside. Not uncommon for the boards to completely "dry out"- look like a dry lake bed - which makes the connections suspect.

Did you check to see if you have power at the fuel pump itself? Maybe the pump has gone bad (especially if its original).
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAndy View Post
The fuel pump is controlled by the FI brain ...

- Check the connector on the brain and make sure it is seated correctly.

- Did you unplug the brain from the relay board? If so, make sure that connector is seated correctly as well.

- Check the fuel pump relay and switch with a known to be good one. The headlamp relays work fine for that.

Andy
Andy,
The connector was not a real snug fit so that could be the problem.I have changed the pump relay to a spare with no change.
Where is the switch,or is that in the relay?
I left the brain connected to the relay board!
Geoff
Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
While you are checking relays, it won't hurt to remove the relay board and look at the underside. Not uncommon for the boards to completely "dry out"- look like a dry lake bed - which makes the connections suspect.

Did you check to see if you have power at the fuel pump itself? Maybe the pump has gone bad (especially if its original).
It may be original I will check today,thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The latest news is that I checked the pump with 12V and it ran,I then checked the connections from the harness to the pump.
After that I checked the connection to the brain and carefully aligned the plug in and voila the pump ran etc.
Thanks Fellers
Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: