Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1973 914 turbo project

Hello,
Im hoping to get some advice about a 914 I may be aquiring tommorrow. The car is a 1973 porsche 914. It has been completely restored with new paing rebuilt engine, and trans, new suspension, new interior. The engine has not been installed and is supposedly set up to be a turbo motor with all the computer, turbo, and intercooler included with the car. Is this worth anything? I just dont want to get into a project that is too advanced for me. I have never owned a porsche and I have no idea about 914 values. I think its a 2.0l motor that has been modified. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sebastian
Modesto, CA.

Here are a few pictures... this is all I have for now.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If it were me and I do have some experience with Porsche's AND 914s in particular I would pass on this unless the place that has this car actually puts the engine in it, makes it run and lets you drive it around a bit. You mention you have no P-car experience so you are going to either have to have a huge wallet or be a super mechanic to make something like that work. Why you might ask, type 4 engines are among the worst engines to try to put a turbo on and since they were originally meant to run static generators and the like, they are not receptive to boost and such. As a final note, even if the shop/person gets it running, I would want ALL the mods and parts used to build the engine just in case you need to work on it later. An example is a cam change will prevent going back to the stock FI system and might require different valve clearance specs so adjustments will be a pain.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yea im just not sure I want to deal with that at the moment. I dont know enough about the build details to finish this car. I know I dont have the wallet that this requires if I need to send it to the shop that did all the previous work.

Thanks for the info... I appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Do you think it has any significant value? Have any idea what It might be worth as it sits? I know its a guess. I think he has $25k worth of receipts.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

In the world of car repairs and such, the receipts mean nothing except that some stuff was done. I would post this on the other two major 914 sites: 914world and also 914club to see what those guys have to say. Be warned there are a lot, whole lot of very opinionated people when it comes to their 914s and what you should or should not do to or with one. I looked at this from two points: $$$$$$ as it will take a lot and your experience which in nil. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks again... I appreciate the honesty. I have always had old bmw 2002's and 1600's so I know about these opinionated individuals you speak of. I look at it the same way. Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john rogers View Post
Be warned there are a lot, whole lot of very opinionated people when it comes to their 914s and what you should or should not do to or with one.
Hey, you can't turbo a 914!!!!!

Everybody knows that ...
Andy

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The big problem with this, is stated above, with the cost. If you know what you are doing, the Type 4 engine can be turbo'd. There are alot of upgrades needed done to the cases, and you would need to find an engine builder who has done this. If you were to buy this car, you need to either go to a 911 style fan, or to a DTM cooling system, through Jake. I am building a T4 for my 69 912, and it will be turbo'd. The big problem, is, if you are not good at working on things, then this is to big. If you know people in your area who know turbos, and how to install them "RIGHT", then it would not be bad, but depending on what he wants for the car, with everything, well, that is a different story. The car, unfinished, is not worth much, and if you shoot for too much, you will sit on it for years until it sells. If someone has 25k into it, and it is still not done, that should tell you alot right there. He wants to unload it, because he knows it is going to cost even more. So, take this how you will, but I would stay away from it, unless you get it for under 5K, and then get rid of the turbo stuff, pistons, intake, and go FI. You would be happy that way. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: