Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Alternator / charging issues 76 2.0

My alternator charging light will turn off when I start the car but then turns on after five min. The regulator becomes very hot first then the light turns on.......Any suggestions or experience with this type of problem? Thanks Skonsin
Old 07-25-2010, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Have you tried replacing the regulator?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-25-2010, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes...I have checked every wire...I had the green and white wires for the wiper motor and the wiper relay switched which may have damaged the diodes in the new alternator ...who knows.... I am not certain so I have taken out the new alternator and will have a shop check it to see if in fact I did damage it ....It may have also been damaged by the fact I did not remove the battery charging cable as I was cranking it over...I don't know...The alternator would charge intermittently and the light would stay off until the regulator heated up and the light would come on...I also checked all the grounds, the relay board and replaces the fuse block with a modern one...so we will see ...any other ideas???
Old 07-31-2010, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had a bad new alternator and replace it with a new one and it fixed the problem...
Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I love a happy ending
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: