Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Original color...

I was looking at a '74 914 recently. While checking it out I made a couple of interesting discoveries...

1. The car was black on black, and about a #3 driver; all in all, not too bad. Looking through the windshield, past the A pillar, the dash vinyl was pulled back (shrunk) just enough to see a little splash of orange peeking through. There is not a single trace of orange anywhere else on the car, including below the dash, except the inside lip of the glove box (at the glove box door) looked like it had been orange and had been blacked out. Is this normal? The inside of the front and rear trunks were clean, and black, with no evidence of orange anywhere. Were all 914s originally orange on the dashtop metal, prior to being painted and upholstered by the factory?

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 08-11-2010 at 01:25 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

There's actually been a number of different dash colors documented on original cars that have not been resprayed. I've seen a couple of explanations about why that is, but the short answer is that you likely were looking at an original black car that has always had orange under it's dash from day one.
1973 914 2.0 Bastard
1999 2.5RS Subaru NA Monster
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Matt, thank you! I think that I knew about that back in the day, but then I started to think that I was hallucinating! I passed along the info as being OK, because I just couldn't form a picture in my mind of a relatively clean car having just the metal dash section replaced!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
In fact, it seems to be a rare thing for the dash frame color to match the exterior color. It looks like they just sprayed the dash frames (out of the cars) with whatever color was in the sprayer already, then bolted them into the cars on the line after they dried.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
In fact, it seems to be a rare thing for the dash frame color to match the exterior color. It looks like they just sprayed the dash frames (out of the cars) with whatever color was in the sprayer already, then bolted them into the cars on the line after they dried.

--DD
Thanks, Dave, I guess that beats no paint at all! Pantera rear suspension frame and spring mounts come to mind...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: