Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914-6

i know it's probably me but i cant find any directions on removing 914-6 oil tank.also replacement hoses once i get to that point.thanks,any help appreciated.mg
Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

mg...

It takes alittle bit of pulling and shoving.
You will need the oil wrench set
jack up the car, support, and remove the left rear wheel
Remove the filter console, vent hoses, fill pipe, engine oil hose on the side by the firewall....leave the bottom one on but disconnect at the first joint...
take the two nuts off the tank and remove the plastic washers...
then the fun begins...
you will need to pull the tank towards the out side of the car...
then pull down and towards the rear of the car...
it is a very tight fit but can be done...
********s has the correct oil hose in both sizes for the OEM screw on fittings
they sell by the meter...
also replace the console "O" ring...
Good luck
Old 08-15-2010, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

john,thank you very much.the manuals i have don't say a word about tank removal.i have scoured the net looking for help and you're the first one to offer.the hose by the firewall goes through the rubber grommet to the tank.how do you get to the nut to take it off?thanks again,mike goble ,canyon lake,ca.

mgoble8@hotmail.com
Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You're very welcome Mike....I know the feeling of trying to find info on the 914-6

That hose attaches to a fitting that attaches to the tank....it are three parts...tank, metal fitting, and hose with aluminum fittings...the hose just goes thru the rubber grommet in the sheet metal to protect it.
there is also a rubber grommet at the side wall where it attaches to the tank and crap can kind of collect there making it hard to see....you need to use two of the oil line wrenches to get the hose off first and then the metal fitting that goes into the tank...you will need to take the fitting off as it will give you just alittle more clearance room to remove the tank...the 914-6 tank is similar to the early 911 tanks in this area
be careful with the rubber grommets and save them... I did not find any source for them. Though I didn't try the Porsche dealer parts network yet
The mounting studs are what really get in the way when you take it out...but once you have all the parts removed from the side of the tank I think you will see it will come out..there is just enough room. The studs are just like those on the early 911 ones...
you may want to power wash in the wheel well area first to just clean out all the grime in there
Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
It's not easy, but once you get it out, it's easier....
Old 08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: