Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Yes you CAN install 993 seats in a 914...

I just got through installing my 4 way power 993 seats in my '74 914. The seats are very wide though, and the driver's side would not install using the original handbrake handle and brake cable guide. Therefore, I had to remove the cable guide so the seat track could fit in and cut off the existing hand brake handle pivot. Here's how it's done.

First locate the existing cable guide bracket and remove it.

Then remove any hidden rust:

Prep and primer the area:

Followed by chopping off the hand brake pivot (which sticks out to far)

Then paint the remaining surfaces:

When all is done you can then drill new mounting holes for the tracks and run power to the 4 way switch (it is only a switched positive and a ground to each seat).

Here's how it looks when done:

Now I will need to fabricate a new hand brake mount between the seats, probably a 964 handle and some minor fabrication.

If anyone has a black 964 handbrake assembly for sale please let me know.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 09-06-2010, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey Rob,
Seats look awesome. What is that door panel? It looks like RS style. Did you fabricate it yourself?
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mikea100; 09-07-2010 at 07:12 PM..
Old 09-07-2010, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Mike. I don't know much about the door panels since the PO bought them back in 1997. His printout of notes and costs references that they were bought at a place called 'The Porsche Place' and he paid $380 for the pair.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I am parting out a 90 964 CAB. I have the emergency brake handle and other items you show in the picture. Handle is classic gray, but I am sure you could dye the leather black. $100 plus shipping. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com I am in Thousand Oaks.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Rob,

Looks great! What does the track look like for the seats, and how does that mount to the floor? I want to do something similar with 911 seats.

TIA,
Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks. The PO had removed the floor bracing which runs from the driver's side rocker panel to the center hump where the shifter is located. So on the drivers side the entire floor area is flat, which are the pictures above. On the passenger side the floor is stock, with the cross bracing intact. I have no idea why he did them differently....

Thus, each of the seat is mounted differently. The driver's was easy, with the exception of the mods above. The tracks bolt directly to the floor.

On the passenger side the 964 seat tracks are longer than the 914. Therefore, the front part of the track sits on top of the cross brace which is about 1.75 inches above floor level. This results in the need to fabricate 1.75 inch stand offs to go under the rear portion of the passenger seat tracks to bring them up to the level of the front cross member. The front hole in the tracks bolts into the crossmember and the rear is on top of stand offs and is bolted to the floor. All bolts go through the floor with nuts and fender washers underneath.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

For those who had asked about the door panels, I happened to stumble across the vendor that made them as I was thumbing through Panorama Magazine.

It is indeed called 'The Porsche Place' at (541)459-1700, 110Arrowhead Ranch Road, Oakland, OR 97463

No website listed though, hmmm. Maybe some industrious member can trade them web services for a set of panels?

Good luck...
Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: