Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smoke !!!!

Well after my first oil change on my 73 1.7 I over filled the crank case by about 1/4 quart of Chevron delo 400 30W. Every thing was fine after a short run around the neighborhood. The next day I went for a longer drive and made a hard left sweeper. The next thing I saw was the biggest blue cloud of oil smoke out the tail pipe. I thought that I had blown the engine. Pulled over and checked the gages, no oil light and the 1.7 was idling fine. Took of again no smoke ran great. BUT...
The 914 will pour blue smoke on any kind of hard left turn. Seem to do it a lot less if I keep the oil level at about 1/2 qt. down. I'm thinking that the exhaust guides maybe a little loose on the right head.
Any suggestions??
Thanks Glen
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Glen and Welcome to Pelican

And you drove it how much before the oil change, and at any time before the oil change had you drove the hard left sweeper ? And if you did was their a smoke issue then ?

Your oil choice could be an issue, and your 30 wt choice, but it doesn't mean you don't have worn valve guides you don't know the history of the motor or how many miles, and it would be the worn Int guides that would be sucking the oil, and the exh are more than likly worn also.

You could try another oil, maybe a 20 - 50, but also be thinking about getting your heads done, or finding some already done for a swapt out.

Last edited by Type 4 Unleashed; 09-10-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

x2.. imho, 30W is a little thin for these older, larger toleranced motors. Also, you still could have other issues (like worn rings, valves etc). While I never ran mine 1/2 qt over, it was always local practice, in the DE and AX world, to run a "little" over the fill mark to help prevent starvation..however, TOO MUCH would cause smoking. At the very least, remove the 1/2qt of overfill, then see how the smoking is.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 09-10-2010, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
x2.. imho, 30W is a little thin for these older, larger toleranced motors. Also, you still could have other issues (like worn rings, valves etc). While I never ran mine 1/2 qt over, it was always local practice, in the DE and AX world, to run a "little" over the fill mark to help prevent starvation..however, TOO MUCH would cause smoking. At the very least, remove the 1/2qt of overfill, then see how the smoking is.
You mis-understood, he is running it a 1/2 qt under not over, to help reduce the smoke.

And that I don't think is a good idea. Some better crankcase venting would be a better option.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 4 Unleashed View Post
You mis-understood, he is running it a 1/2 qt under not over, to help reduce the smoke.

And that I don't think is a good idea. Some better crankcase venting would be a better option.

I didn't completely mis understand.. I was just too lazy to read he went from 1/4 qt over to 1/2 qt under and it was still smoking.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 09-13-2010, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It would help if he would answer the questions if he wants any help..

He was On line yesterday at 4.01 PM

Last edited by Type 4 Unleashed; 09-13-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ok ok

Well there are other issues with the teener. I had the tires Balanced and rotated at a Less Schwab Dealer. The front started to Shimmy.
(I have been also working on my 67 Mustang GT 428 4 speed street strip car too)
So last week I had the 914 on my lift and Pulled the wheels American Mags and some off brand tires. The back side of the wheels had quite a bit of corrosion on the wheel mounting surface, and the rotors too. So I used a 3M finger wheel to remove the corrosion on both. Rotated the tires and the shimmy is gone.
I ordered a case of Brad-Pen 40W and will change the oil . I did change the oil and used Chev 10-40 when the Smoke started. The buddy that I got the car from Chewed me for using such a light weight oil. It's been a while sense I have had an air cooled engine. I have always had a VW of some sort sense 1967
Thanks
Glen
Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thats funny I have a 67 XR7 GT Cougar with a 390. And a 427 side oiler block in the garage that I will get to some day.

And it's good your buddy chewed you out. But come winter if you intend to drive the car it would help to drop the weight especially for cold starts, when temps drop the heavier weight oils get really thick and are harder to pick up thus starving the bearings for oil on start up and causing excessive wear. But then you should know this.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: