Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

monsoon season is here

This is probably a silly question, but has anyone had the problem I am having with the dripping water from teh corners of the windshield frame rubber seal? Mine is new, as are my Targa side seals across the top of teh windows. i have my windows adjusted for a good seal at the top, except for about one inch at the front where the window should meet with the windshield seal corner, but doesn't quite reach teh rubber. i believe this is part of where the drip comes in, but it seems there must be more to it than that. I have begun bonding the windshield seal to the frame with marine goop, and will try doing that clear across the top, in case the water is seeping in under the seal front edge. What, if anything, have any of you out there been able to do to cure this situation? I did glue a small piece of neoprene to the seal at the top of the right vent window inside the curving area just ahead of the corner. That seems to have improved the drip on the passenger side, so I am going to try the same thing on drivers' side and see if it helps. Maybe a better piece of rubber will help. Please forward any ideas. Thanks
Old 04-16-1999, 07:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had the same trouble with our 1974 after having all the top and door seals replaced and they were Porsche parts too??? I think you have to pull the seal where it attaches across the front to allow it to fit correctly and the body shop didn't want to stress the rubber. I used a product called GOO, black color, and used several layers to build up that little corner on both sides and no more leaks. I used some tape to separate the buildup area from the targa top seal and put a new coat on in about 4 hrs. Its been nearly a year and no troubles with leaks.
Old 04-16-1999, 07:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same leaky area on my 72. The problem on mine was not the rubber. It turned out to be the guide for the rubber on the targa top. The aluminium was not tight to the fiberglass so the water wasn't even getting to the rubber seals.
Try taking the seals off of the roof and removing the guide cleaning both surfaces and putting some type of sealant between them.
Old 04-16-1999, 01:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 04-16-1999, 01:36 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: