Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cooling flaps/thermo cable

My 1974 2.0 thermo cable is awol. Spring on the cooling flap shaft is strong and holds the flaps in place. Engine starts easily and runs fine but seems to run hotter than I remember. Haven't driven car in 2 years and very little in past 10 years.

I assume from reading other posts that the spring(in the absence of the thermo/cable) holds the flaps in position to direct air flow over oil cooler. So after warm up the engine should be as cool as it is going to run.

Standard vdo temp gauge runs about 3/4 way to red zone.

Car has been in family since new and is stock condition. All engine tin is in place. About 130,000 miles on original engine. Never had heads off. I don't think there is any thing blocking air flow.

Recently pulled transmission and flywheel to repair oil galley plug leak behind flywheel. Installed new clutch, resurfaced flywheel, and all new shift linkage bushings.
Cleaned off all accessible(without removing engine tin) oil/dirt residue.Engine is pretty clean.

Car now runs great and shifts like new but I am concerned about the temps.Can't know what it actually is since the stock gauge has no temp markings.

Any advise will be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Lean mixture and retarded timing can cause hot running. Any mouse nests under the tin? Are your temp gauge and sender original to the car? There were a few different types if I recall, and if the gauge and sender aren't compatible, you will get skewed readings.

It's pricey, but this dipstick temp gauge will give you real fahrenheit readings.

Mainely Custom by Design - Engine Component products
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Crank the engine and spray water into the fan while the engine is still cold. Rev it up to 3500 or so, You are going to crap your pants at how much crud comes out. Maybe even some purple power (just rinse it REAL good).
Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: