Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hi All It's Me Again

When I took my cover off it had a lot of oil in it. I see the seal is leaking. My questions are.
1) What is this seal called? (for ordering)
2) Where do I find info on how to replace it? (is it in my (haynes manual) I haven't found it yet.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

DK
Old 10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

go here...

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/914_USA_KATALOG.pdf
Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the help John

DK
Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
To replace the seal (there may be two?), you remove that part from the trans by removing those two nuts. Then you press out the roll pin that holds the ball you can see in your photo onto the shaft that goes up into the trans. Then you can pull the shaft out, R&R the seals, put the shaft back in, press the roll pin back in again, and bolt up the side-shift console. A new seal between the console and the transmission case (or is it an O-ring?) would be a good idea, too.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Dave. Again you come through.
Much apreciated.

DK
Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
DK,

If it is the orignal seal, it is metal. The replacement is plastic/rubber. It is not easy to get the seal out. I used to hold the shifter asembly in a vise (be careful, it is aluminum and will deform!!!) and pry with a screwdriver. Sometimes, you have to bang the screwdriver into the side of the seal with a hammer. again, be careful.

If it is a rubber replacement seal, they usually pop out pretty easily.

Also, I'm not sure I see the plastic bushing on your shift assembly...

And!!!! Drain the transmission BEFORE you remove the shift assembly, or you will get a nasty surprise. I would suggest you replace the shifter o-ring as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
Seal is 900-112-001-50-M213 in the Pelican Catalog

I don't see the O-ring listed in the catalog, but you'll find it on page #130 in the 914 link above. It is part 20. You will probably need parts 18 and 15, as these disintegrate over time, which leads to even sloppier shifting.

(Porsche Part#)

Part15:914 303 171 00
Part18:914 303 173 00
part 20: 999 701 359 40
Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Red. I just got to it and came back to reread the post. I have 20 on my list to order also 11,12,19. One question tho. Dave suggested taking it off and then removing the roll pin. For some reason I'm not picturing it coming off that way. So do I need to knock out the roll pin first?

Thanks for your response Red-Beard
DK
Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkelly914 View Post
Thanks Red. I just got to it and came back to reread the post. I have 20 on my list to order also 11,12,19. One question tho. Dave suggested taking it off and then removing the roll pin. For some reason I'm not picturing it coming off that way. So do I need to knock out the roll pin first?

Thanks for your response Red-Beard
DK
Yes. The roll pins keep it together. Once you have it out, you'll understand.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks again to Dave and Red-Beard for the help. It's not rebuilt yet but here are some photos for the curious.

DK

Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I do have one question. Which roll pin should I take out?
DK
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Either one should be fine. Depends on if you want to pull the shaft out from the top or the bottom.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I found it easier to take the roll pin out of the "shift comb". You have a great picture to help you put it back together! It can go back together 4 ways, and only 1 is right! It looks like the plastic washer on the inside is OK. You can see the o-ring that needs replacing as well.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Just another thank you to all that have helped me. My original owner 914 is 99% done. Thanks again.

DK
Old 11-22-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
That is about 20% more than most!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: