Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which Heli-coil size?

Hey Folks,

I need to heli-coil a stud in the head for the exhaust header. Anybody know what size I need? I don't want have to do the dismantle and take the stud down to Kragen thing.

Thanks

BP
Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's an M8 stud originally, but I'm doubtful of how well a helicoil will work. The time-sert is preferred, or drilling and tapping oversized (M9xM8 and M10xM8 step studs are available from some places) is preferred.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've had a helicoil in my 2.0L head for 4 years. Works great. took 3 tries to get it right.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've used stepped studs before M8 on the bottom and either M9 or M10 where they screw into the head. In the past they were available from many shops/suppliers that dealt with air-cooled VWs (I even bought them from a VW dealer in the past). The trick is drilling out the old one...
Old 12-03-2010, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you are in San Diego, I have several of the stepped studs w/ 9mm and 10mm large ends. You can have them for free. The note Dave made is correct and the other post about heli-coils is also right, it will take several tries to get it right! Time-serts generally work right once.

If you have never done any of these possibilities I would suggest making a guide for drilling and tapping as it is very easy to make the stud set at an angle and then you will pull it out and/or the copper gasket will leak.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: