Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest What Size MC??

I have looked at up-grading my brakes on my 914 for some time, i need me a project to take up some of my time for the next few months, and of course to burn up some funds
i am wanting to go with 911 3.5 inch struts, and boxster brakes on all corners, my question to you is what size master cylinder do i need.
I understand full well the smallest MC will give me the most pressure, and the largest will give me the firmest pedal. i am just wondering if the 17mm will push enough fluid before it bottoms out to operate the brakes correctly?? it would give me the best pressure yes, but will it work i have no idea... and what of the 19mm will it bottom out as well, i know these 4 piston brakes take a bit more fluid to get moving... also i understand there is a MB 23mm MC that will work on my 914 if need be...

so in summary what is the smallest MC that will operate my brakes without my pedal going straight to the floor and me going straight through a corner

Thanks for taking time to answer more of the foolish thoughts that wander into my brain and on to these forums

and just FYI i like the size, number of pistons, and ability to use vented rotors on my car.. also the boxster calipers look cool and everyone knows cool is faster
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Do a search in the 911 tech forum, those are heavier cars with more power, but you definately need a larger mc if you are set on the box brakes. I have the Mercedes 21mm mc on my turbo with turbo brakes. It's a little hard, but prefer a hard pedal, most people find it hard to modulate the brakes with a hard pedal.

What are you using your car for? Unless you are heavily racing your car the boxster calipers are WAY overkill. Get some A calipers with the 3.5 struts and a 19 mm mc. Use what you save for more suspension improvements.

My turbo needed bigger brakes, got too hot, too fast, but I'm putting the original S calipers from the turbo on my 914 for a dedicated vintage race car.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car

Last edited by infraredcalvin; 11-11-2010 at 07:19 PM..
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
There is only one man, Eric Shea. If it involves Porsche brakes, he has the answers. See the site:

PMB Performance: We Don't Rebuild Your Brakes... We Restore Them

Good luck.
Michael
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue914 View Post
i am wanting to go with 911 3.5 inch struts, and boxster brakes on all corners, my question to you is what size master cylinder do i need.
The 19mm MC is a perfect fit for the boxster calipers on a 914. It will give you a nice and firm pedal and plenty of braking.

We run the 23mm MC on the 911 race car and boxster calipers. While this works great on the 911 (heavier, dedicated race car) i would not recommend the 23mm with this setup for a (mostly) street driven 914.

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm running 911 M calipers on all 4 corners of my GT clone with a 19mm master. Good pedal feel and stopping power.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I just pulled the 23mm MC I installed last year, I let my wife use the car just once and with all of her 122lb on the pedal, she went almost all the way into the intersection at a red light. I am running 911S calipers FR and 914/6 GT calipers rear. You need big f#@king brakes to get good use out of a 23mm unit. *NOTE* If you do decide to go with the 23mm I have one with only 800 Miles for sale! Badm.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks!

Thank you all for the terrific and amazingly quick answers. I didn't know exactly how much larger the boxster calipers are vs. the standard 914 so i was without a clue how much larger i should have gone on the mc. I didn't want to pay for a master cylinder that wasn't going to work properly.

Are Boxster calipers severe over kill yes, but then again i think putting a v-8 in a 914 is a bit much myself.. so from the responses i have got, i think i will go with the 19 mm but any additional in put would be very appreciated thanks very much to everyone whom visits these forums and shines a little light on all of our little "puzzles"
Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
One more thing, I'm sure someone can chime in here, but be sure you can fit the calipers under the wheels tou want to use. Sometimes you need a spacer to fit under 15 inch wheels.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 11-12-2010, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

the guy i am getting the calipers from is going to sell me the wheels from the same car... 400 for the calipers should be a good deal right? at least that seams to be the best deal i can find, if not can someone point me in the direction of a cheaper matching set?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I really think a 19mm master cylinder is the way to go for your setup. Also keep in mind you don't need huge brakes to have better performance over OEM. Brake pad technology is so good today that just playing around with various compounds/manufacturers can give you much better braking.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: