Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine conversion 76-914

I am interested in knowing all the people that put 6 cylinders in their cars.Do most do it just for speed ? It seems some try to build a 914-6 because they can't afford a real one.My main question is there a conversion that really makes it a better car not just a faster one? To me I think a nice quite small chevy v-6 would be nice conversion you get a better heating system,maybe A/C and maybe a engine that does not make all the noise of a type IV. Hey just wondering
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armosrules1 View Post
Do most do it just for speed ?
I did it for torque ...

That, and the reliability of a stock motor with modern fuel injection. All internals on my 3.6L are the way they left the Porsche factory. Reliable. Plenty of low end torque. Perfect for a daily driver.

Speed? Sure. But top speed has nothing to do with power. Top speed is limited by the gearing of your transmission. I run the stock 901 and i top out at ~130mph. With different gearing, i could go much faster than that. But so far, i have not had any reason to do so.

The only track i come close to that speed is on the main straight at Thunderhill.

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Lots of reasons to do the Six swap. Keeping the car air-cooled is one. Another is that the car was designed in part with the 911 engine in mind. Another is that amazing and glorious sound, particularly with MFI or Webers! And, of course, there is the power.

Generally the V6 swap is frowned upon. It's the same amount of work as the V8, which is of course mo' betta' fasta'. There are tales of the torque pulses from a V6 being harder on the trans than those of a V8, but I'm not sure I buy that. Regardless, if you're looking for masses of power (and some weight!) the small-block Chevy conversion is the way to go. It's not as simple or cheap as you would think, but it does work.

For me, though, there's no substitute for that H6 sound...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
if heat, A/C and street tractibility are the goals - just buy an older Miata

- bone stock, it makes about 150% of the 914-4 HP, parts are unbelievably cheap, and the things will go 250,000 miles with minimal wrenching

the only thing you can't do is show it in a Porsche Concours,

so keep your 914-4 in nice original form that you can be proud of - and keep a foothold in porsche club events

check my garage - I have a 914-6 GT, and an MGB racer, but for daily use you can't beat my $4500 99 Miata with AC, cruise control, and heat - all built in

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I did it just to see if I could. It is a pretty striaght forward process but it does take a lot of thought especially when your working through the wiring. The power and torque are definately a lot of fun in these little cars.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to shoguneagle
I did mine to make sure the car stayed within the balance that a flat boxer engine offers which leads to driving characteristics. I have previously built a 914-V8 before they became the popular thing to do and parts were not at the same level of development as they are today. It drove like an early fifties Corvette where the opposite rear corner wanted to throw you to the front and lots of power makes the car "squirrelly!!" I like the better driving and handling of the 914 with the Sixer in it because it handles great and makes one with the road. If I need/want air conditioning, I will drive the Corvette or the Pickup or the Jeep or the Alfa Romeo. To me it handles as well and better than the early Lotus except for the Seven and possibly the Elise. I also now prefer low torque/hp engines with high rev limits. Shades of the Old Days of Grand Prix racing that made the name of most sports cars. The Miata to me appears to be a very enjoyable car made for the curvie road driving (basically a Lotus design.

Each person has his own ideas what a sport car should be and I hope he/she has a chance to totally enjoy them. There is nothing like the open road on a sunny day. I know I have driven most of the "curvie roads of Northern California" from Bakersfield to the Oregon boarder.

Take that car when you and it are ready and enjoy it for what it is and brings to you.

Steve Hurt
Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: