Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HELP with starting issue...

SO lately my 74 1.8 has been having issue's starting. The key turns. everything kicks on but the starter doesn't turn. I replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch and just finished replacing the starter ( that job sucked you have you be a contortionist) And still nothing. any ideas?
74 914 2.0 track car

Last edited by 924slover; 12-14-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You could buy a push button remote starter that hooks to the battery and then to the terminal on the starter which will bypass everything including the key, relay board, wires, terminals, etc. You can also check the voltage at the big wire on the starter and also the yellow (I think?) wire that connects to the spade lug when trying to crank the engine. There should be 12 volts there. Also check the terminals on the battery and the ground connection to make sure they have no corrosion and/or bad connection. If the large wires are more than a few years old, replace them with some 3 or 4 gauge clear ones from Exide so you can periodically check on the green stuff that creeps up the wire strands from the lugs.

If you decide to lay under the car to measure the voltages, make sure to block the wheels well so it does not jump and run over you if it decides to crank over. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

First make sure the ground strap between the top/back of the transmission and the bottom of the rear trunk floor is clean and making a good connection.

Clean both terminals and all connections on the battery.

Here are a couple of tests you can perform.

Put a test light on the wire to the solenoid and turn on the ignition switch. If the test light lights up, that tells you that you have power through the ignition switch. If it doesn't light, then the problem could be related to the ignition switch circuit.

Put the transmission in neutral. Touch a screwdriver against the main power (large cable) terminal on the starter. While still touching the power terminal, slide the tip of the screwdriver over to the solenoid terminal with the yellow wire. Just kind of quickly touch the two terminals together and the starter should crank. If it cranks then once again the problem is pointing to the ignition switch or related circuit between the switch and the solenoid.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

well this started out as an intermittent problem that when you turn the key it wouldn'y work but if you played with it or remove the key and try again it would work. But the other day it wouldn't work no matter how many times you tried. so i figured the ignition switch and when i replaced it nothing changed.
74 914 2.0 track car
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

its your seatbelt relay im betting. mine does it too and i havent gotten around to bypassing it. good luck, Dave
Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Right, on a 74 that is definitely a suspect!! Check under the passenger's seat and see if there is still a wide cannister (usually labeled "LOGIC RELAIS") plugged into the plastic plug on the floor. If so, get rid of it. Then splice together the two fat yellow wires (one or both may have a red stripe) that go to the plug. Make the splice good and water-tight, unless your 914 never leaks. (And if it doesn't, please tell me how you did that!!)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: