Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newbie needs help in Huntsville, AL

First timer to 914 forum. Need info on how to bring back to life grandfather's 1972 914 that has been sitting in a field uncovered for about 8 years. There is significant rust underneath but we(father-in-law, brother-in-law, and myself) are willing to put in plenty of time and reasonable finances to bring her back. Any info is greatly appreciated. I have removed the seats and there is some rust under both seats but not too much behind seats. I will upload more pics later.
Slade

Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Show us the rust! Battery box, rear suspension pick up points, longitudinals, floor pans, trunks etc. What isn't rusted will need lots of elbow grease. Seals? the motor? rubber trim? etc etc.

This car "fully restored" is worth, maybe, $10-$15K (but being a 1.7 it will likely be less). You have quite a bit of work (and time?) ahead of you so be wise. You will never see your money made back in your lifetime.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Excellent; it is very nice to see people restoring these little gems. They are, IMHO, one of the most fun cars to drive. I wish you the best with the restoration; it is a slippery slope upon which you are perched.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Welcome, even as beaters these cars are fun, always worth bringing back from the dead!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would also pull off the outer rocker panels to see if the jack points and inner rockers are rusted. My 73 had air conditioning, like yours. The AC lines are routed through the outside of the inner rocker on the passenger side. The inner of my 73 has some rust due to debris (leaves, dirt, etc) getting under the outer rocker and keeping it wet.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
local help

Hey!
Love the color! Looks like a fine car- especially good if the longs and hh are not rotted. Send me a PM. I'll shoot you a phone number- I'm in south Huntsville and have owned my car since 89. Probably 400k miles. I've driven it from DC to Sebring. New Orleans, Memphis, Hershey, Kitty Hawk, Destin- just all over the east. I've done two engine rebuilds. Had the trans rebuilt by the infamous Dr Evil, and installed a bunch of goodies over these many years. Anyway, its late, Arkansas just blew the Sugar Bowl, so I gotta go. We'll get together and crawl around trying to get rust in our eyes.

My gallery page
Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice car. Excellent heritage with it being your grand-dad's car.

Pull the rocker panels as soon as possible to find out really how much restoration you will have. There are screws on the bottom and ends and rivets on the top that need to be drilled out.

Look under the battery for hell-hole rust damage.

Post lots of pics. Guys here will help with knowledge and guidance. Post on 914world and 914club for further experienced 914'ers.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: