Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 73 2 litre is misbehaving.

Started a month ago,the car had been bucking but with a new TPS board the problem was almost eliminated.
THEN she really started to play nasty.Engine died and hardly any response on the throttle when running,no power overall..So I decided to change to the 74 F.I.setup
The car has an 012 CHT.so I added an 043 MPS and an 044 ECU.I also reset the valves and torqued up the nuts on the rocker shaft mounts.
Also replaced the trigger points and changed the TPS for another spare I have.
Yesterday I started her up and after some fiddling I disconnected the air temp sensor(enrichening) and had the car idling smoothly at 900rpm.You beauty,now I can drive it.Weather was lousy so tomorrow will do!
Today I started her up and she idled well as yesterday,then I turned the motor off and restarted with the same old,same old! no guts idle etc.
One thing that is puzzling me is the accepted procedure for setting the TPS.
"One more hash mark" means a graduation on the ohm meter or a graduation on the TPS mounting plate???Can anyone enlighten me?
The TPS setting being wrong is a posssibility,the injectors are clogged is another and I have not renewed the condensor as yet!
The idle adjustment on the ECU is not having much effect either!
Anyone had similiar things a happening?
Help please.
Geoff
Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, "one hash mark" means one mark on the TPS mounting.

Intermittent problems like this are most often electrical in nature, where something isn't making good contact with something else.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dave,I disconnected the spark plugs one at a time and there was a spark to at least three cylinders albeit it was weak!
Condensor replacement today and get the injectors checked and cleaned methinks.
Bosch blue coil is new!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

An odd thing about this issue is that prior to it arising the oil temp gauge was flickering into the red zone.
When I got the car home and turned the ignition off the needle was in the red zone until I took the CHT out of circuit.This cause the needle to drop back to zero.BTW I checked the oil temp with a thermometer and it was correct,not in the red zone!So I was getting a false reading on the oil temp gauge but when I disconnected the CHT it would drop to zero.After a while this glitch seemed to correct itself.Oil temp gauge is normal again!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Anyone have these experiences???
Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The CHT should have no effect on the oil temp gauge! Something really funky is going on--check your engine grounding! Maybe run a nice fat wire from an engine case bolt or something threaded into the engine to the chassis or even to the battery ground.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I will try that Dave.The latest is that I have renewed the condenser and had the injectors cleaned.The car started up promptly and idled well,I then drove her around the block and limped home.Loss of power, the gas pedal does not respond as per normal,almost no response,got her into the garage and the engine died.I wonder if it is the TPS connections to the ECU because the ECU adj.knob has no effect and this is the third TPS I have tried.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with Dave. Chase down the grounds and make sure they are good. Sounds like you have some circuits backfeeding through others looking for a good ground.

There should be a "common" ground point bolted to one of the case half bolts near the back/top of the engine. You'll see a lot of white wires going to it. Check to make sure they all have a good connection. And check the ground strap between the transmission and the bottom of the trunk. I'm guessing this one is fine though.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It feels like a permanent vapour lock,I will try those remedies today,thanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well Xmas is over and I have reworked the groundings and it is amazing to have such poor performance due to earthing being faulty..
The car is now driveable except I am unsure re the hose connections to the decel valve,I remember George Hussey had a different set up to the Pelican layout, but one is wrong,Which one?
Thanks to all for the assistance.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
My hoses are set up like indicated here and runs fine
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Bander's site has the correct hose hookup.
1973 Chalon with 2.4T MFI (Schlitzalom)
All my 4 cylinders are gone
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yup I checked it out and I am running with that setup.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: