Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

74 Porsche 914 extreme high idle (3000-4000)

So while rebuilding my 74 914 I came across someone selling the original fuel injection and decided to replace the dual webers with it to make it more original. Now the engine is back in the car and everything is hooked up. It took forever to get the thing started. Fix one thing then find something else. The biggest problem was the fuel return line being clogged with gunk cause the pressure to build up too high, but now I got that fixed and it actually starts but idles way too high (around 3000-4000 rpm) checked the timing, turned in the screw on the throttle body, adjusted the throttle control valve, checked the decel valve for leaks. And now I'm out of ideas. Please help. Anything is appreciated.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
JW Apostate

It's one of the vacuum lines leaking.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is there an easy way to find out which one or should I just go and start replacing the old lines?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganr81 View Post
Is there an easy way to find out which one or should I just go and start replacing the old lines?
There's tons of places where they can leak air. This is D-Jet, correct?

I'd go through the Vac lines one by one looking for the one (or multiple). Plug/unplug as you go until you find the offenders.

Also make sure they are all connected and none are missing on the air-box. Remove the air box and check the bottom of the throttle body for cracks.

Check the TB gasket.

Did you get the FI specific thick gaskets that go between the runners and the heads? If not, you'll leak there ...

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yes it is the D-Jet, and I do have the gaskets between the runners and the heads, they came brand new with an engine rebuild kit I purchased. Also there are no hoses missing on the air box. I guess ill just start having to check the all the lines. Thanks all
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
3-4K means one heck of an air leak. I don't know of anything else that could cause that. Are there any hoses connected directly from the air cleaner to the manifold, with no "component" in the middle? If so, those are incorrect and are at least contributing to the high idle.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There is one hose from the air box that goes to the charcoal canister in the front, there is one that goes to the aux air regulator, there is one that goes to the decel valve, and the is another that goes to the top of what I think is called the anti flashback valve. The other two hoses coming from that go to a port on the top of each cylinder head. Now the port they plug into looks like mangled piece of pipe shoved into a hole on the top each cylinder head, and they cant be sealed because I can easily pull the little piece of pipe out. Actually, in the past when I have tried to remove the hose from that port, the little piece of pipe comes out of the hole with the hose and then I'd have to get a pair of needle nose to pull the little piece of pipe out. Could this be it?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAndy View Post
Remove the air box and check the bottom of the throttle body for cracks.
What i meant to say was, check the bottom of the intake plenum for cracks. They like to crack right around the welded in "through" tubes.

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1974 , 914 , high , idle , porsche